HELP MY XENIA

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by hottielover14, Jul 19, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. hottielover14

hottielover14 Torch Coral

what should i do with the rock it's on. it has feather dusters on it.

2. Click Here!

3. beamer

beamer Sea Dragon

I lost my pulsing xenia a month or so ago. I think the temp got too high one day and it just gradually withered away.

I took out the rock and scraped off the xenia and put the rock back in the tank. Later I was told that I should have left a little of the xenia on the rock and it would have grown back. I assume that is true but its too late for me as I had already trashed the stinkie thing, and it was stinkie!

See what the others with experience have to say. If it happened again to me I would do as they said and leave a little on the rock, leave the feather dusters and put it back in the tank.

Cindy

4. hottielover14

i have the rock with the dead xenia in a bucket w/ a air pump.

5. david

david Peppermint Shrimp

That's a good idea hottie!
    I hope every thing else pulls through for you! :)

6. hottielover14

i scraped all of the dead xenia stalks off the rock except for one that looks alive. I hope it regrows the colony. I put the rock back in my aquarium.

7. hottielover14

woah i woke up today and my tank was at 72 degrees. isn't that too cold. My tank hasn't had a heater for 5 days at it's stayed at 79. i guess i will have to get a heater. what wattage should i get for my 55 gal. so it doesn't overheat.

8. Click Here!

9. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Can't you adjust the setting on the heater you already have? Was it on the lowest setting when it overheated?

Your tank will adjust to the ambient room temperature. If your room is 100 degrees, the tank will be at least that. (maybe more if lighting is hot)

If your room is 60 degrees, the tank will go to 60 degrees(plus for the lighting). The trick is to have your heater adjusted to kick in if the temp goes down to a certain level. It doesn't have to be heating all the time to be effective, only when temps get lower.

10. hottielover14

no i think it's too old. i might have to buy another one. It's 2 years old. I think that its welded. That might be why my tank was overheated. should i buy a 150 watt heater instead of 200 watt.

11. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

I would get 2 100watt heaters that way if one dies on you then the other one will still be able to keep your temp up. ;)

....................................... John

12. hottielover14

but would i put them both in my tank or just use one as a spare.