Help, My Tank's Been Cloudy Forever

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Servillius, Jun 25, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. DavidinGA

DavidinGA Fire Worm

The uv sterilizer will fix either type of bloom still.

2. Click Here!

3. Servillius

Servillius Montipora Digitata

Yep, and it's on order. It's still interesting to know what the problem is though.

4. jimmy_beaner

jimmy_beaner Teardrop Maxima Clam

I picked up a cheap one as well. I don't care about killing ich... so hopefully the cheapo will get rid of the cloudy water for both of us. If it works well, perhaps I'll upgrade when this cheapo dies.

5. kalandra

kalandra Flamingo Tongue

Can't wait to here. If the sterilizer solves this problem

6. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

I really think it's a bacterial bloom from the pellets and zeovit combo understanding that the pellets are off-line, it's the interaction of two IMO

7. jimmy_beaner

I will say I am shocked at the difference 16 hours of the UV has made. The tank was much more clear this morning... and it's just a 9 watt cheapo system ($40 from Petco). I have to assume it was the UV because the tank has had a haze to it for weeks... then much clearer after adding the UV. I think when this one dies, I'll pick up a nicer unit. Color me pleasantly surprised.

I should also mention my skimmer has been pulling out a ton more since last night. 1/4 of a cup in 12 hours and it's dark stuff.

8. Click Here!

9. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

yay!! I had never used a UV in the past and people recommended one for algae control in my pond. It's amazing how it manages to control the algae growth! Such a low maintenance solution. I'm embarrassed to look back at all of the things I did in the past to try and control algae growth.

10. Servillius

Servillius Montipora Digitata

Okay, I have followed the dosing recommendation. I also reduced my light cycle to 40% on my 75 watt LED and 3 hours on my 8 bulb t5.

This has significantly reduced the clouding.

Today I borrowed a diatom filter and my tank is clearing nicely. I am curious to see if and how badly it clouds back up.

11. kalandra

kalandra Flamingo Tongue

I'm happy to hear you got this problem under control . I my self have never used a uv sterilizer . It's good to have this little senario in my head in case I ever have a problem myself .

12. jimmy_beaner

I have my very own diatom filter (vertex xl?). It didn't clear the water like this cheap 9 watt UV. I'm shocked at the clarity in my water... color me a believer. I had always just figured it was a "snake oil" type thing. No way.