Help, My Tank's Been Cloudy Forever

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Servillius, Jun 25, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Servillius

Servillius Montipora Digitata

Okay, not really forever, but its been about 6 weeks now. I started the tank as a biopellets tank. It cycled, pellets kicked in, and it got cloudy. It'd still cloudy. I quit the pellets, switched to ZeoVit and its still cloudy.

My fish are healthy, my tester corals (birdsnests and acros) are beautiful and growing. I just have unsightly cloudy water. This is not precipitate. My alk is stable at 9 dKh,my mag is 1450ppm, and my cal is about 450 ppm.

The bloom gets worse as the day goes by, then lighter overnight. It is white, not green. I have cut back severely my dosing and it has had no effect. I've cut back my feeding to no effect. I have undetectable nitrate, nitrite, ammonia, and phosphate.

I don't know what to try. 6 weeks strikes me as not normal. If someone tells me it went on for longer in their tank and eventually cleared, ill wait. The prospect of a permenantly cloudy tank is upsetting though. I've never had a setup do this.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. Click Here!

3. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

Have you tried a lights out for a few days? Not sure if that might cause a severe O2 issue, however.

4. kalandra

kalandra Flamingo Tongue

Is the sump system simply full of bio pellets and nothing else ? I ask cause thats all you mentioned . I would try a bag of activated carbon if your not already .

5. Servillius

Wow, I think that's as fast as I've ever seen people respond and I really appreciate it. Let me try to address the questions.

I have not tried a lights out. I have a natural aversion to changes in my light cycle, but it makes sense and I will give it a go soon.

I was not very clear, but the biopellets have been gone for over a week now, replaced with a zeovit reactor. I also have a bubble king mini 180 skimmer on my tank. This should be a lot of skimming, but the worse the clouding gets, the harder it seems to be to get it to skim. It is behaving properly to all outward appearances, it just doesn't form a nice stable foam that's getting into the cup, or not much of one anyway.

For what it's worth, I'm using cerameco rock and real reef rock. Though I've used these successfully in the past, I suppose they could be part of the problem.

6. cj22009

cj22009 Astrea Snail

Sounds like you are having a bacterial bloom due the zeovit and bio pellets. Just a hunch but I have seen it in other tanks.

7. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

are you running carbon?

8. Click Here!

9. Servillius

I am running carbon.

10. Servillius

I believe it, but the biopellets have been gone for a week and it is not improving.

11. kalandra

kalandra Flamingo Tongue

What are you topping your tank off with . Tap water , DI water/RO water .

12. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

Is it brand new carbon and at the max amount?