Help...My Tank is Leaking!

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by beamer, Nov 20, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. beamer

beamer Sea Dragon

Last couple of nites I've had an incident where I turned off the tank and my sump flooded. Fortunately I caught it pretty quickly both times.
    I was reading thru some notes that Melevs had given me awhile back about drilling a hole in the return spout. I thought mine had one. Maybe it does but is covered up with goo. Anyway, we changed out the sand bed the other nite and I realized that the return spout was down lower than usual. I'm sure it got moved around when we were putting the LR back in. From the notes I decided that there was a siphon going on to flood the sump. I moved the spout up a bit and turned off the pumps and everything was fine. Thanks Marc!

However, while I was watching the sump and the separte fuge to be sure it didn't flow over again (No Marc, your sump still hasn't been installed. I'm about to give up on the local guy that was going to do it. Don't you want to come to Tyler Marc? ) I noticed the return pipe underneath the tank dripping. I guess kind of a semislow drip but steady. It appears to be leaking from where the return pipe enters back into the tank. I don't know if when I was wiggling around the return spout to its original position if I broke something loose or what. I did have to fool with it a bit to get it right.

So please tell me what I need to do?
    I'm sure I'll be the one having to do it so please make it simple.

Cindy

2. Click Here!

3. szidls

szidls Feather Duster

Hey Cindy,
    Do you have a pic of your plumbing? What kind of pipe are you using that has a leak? Is this a bulkhead that is leaking? Is this a flexable hose with a clamp? More info needed.
    Scott

4. beamer

beamer Sea Dragon

Hi! I think it is the bulkhead that is leaking. It has hard pvc pipe fitted to it. I'll see if I can find an old pic. I'm not able to down load pics on my lap top. My big computer is down at this time.

Cindy

5. beamer

beamer Sea Dragon

See if this link will work: The best photo is the next to the last pic. The return is the one without the red valve.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/perio...tos.yahoo.com/ph/periotherapist2001/my_photos

I think its leaking from the top part of the black ring . One person on another site has suggested tighting the bolt with a wrench slightly. I don't know which way to turn it though. So I'll hold off doing that for now. I didn't know if it was reverse threaded for some reason and I don't want to turn it the wrong way.

Someone else suggested draining the overflow , taking it apart and cleaning it out good. That sounds pretty complicated to me.

Hope the photos help.

Thanks, Cindy

6. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

It sounds like it loosened up when you where adjusting it.
    I think it's worth trying to tighten it like that guy suggested.

Make sure you have the right size wrench and if it's possible, have someone hold the return inside the tank while you do this...

Dab it dry before hand and then turn the bolt a quarter turn past hand tight.

You want to turn it clockwise - 'righty tighty - lefty loosey!'

GOOD LUCK!

7. beamer

beamer Sea Dragon

Thanks Matt. This is the kind of info I'm neeeding. I wouldn't have thought about holding the pipe in the overflow while turning the wrench. O.k. I'll go clock wise.

I'm having to leave this afternoon for a shower. Is there a chance that if I try to tighten this thing that I will make it worse? Perhaps I should wait till I get back. I have a small bucket sitting under it right now.

Thanks again!

8. Click Here!

9. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Well what could make it worse is wrenching too hard and cracking the bolt. Remember it's plastic and the wrench is metal. ;)

So I think it's probably a little past hand tight anyway, just try to go a little further. Like from 12 o'clock to 2 o'clock. I wouldn't go past 3 so to speak.

I do think this should fix it.

10. beamer

beamer Sea Dragon

Thanks for those guidelines. They are good to have. My hubby just got up so I think I'll wait till after the shower since its a pretty slow leak and I have a small container under it. I hope what you say will do the trick.

It just seems like when you think things are going pretty well then something has to happen and usually its more than one thing. Or does that just happen with me? :-[

Cindy

11. beamer

beamer Sea Dragon

Thanks everyone for the help! It was a loose bolt and it was fine after being tightened. I feel relieved that it was something so simple!

Cindy

12. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Me too Cindy. That's great news! :guitarist