help my salt is 1.030!

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by kiarah, Dec 29, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. tigermike74

tigermike74 Panda Puffer

Dropping SG fast is just as much of a shock to the livestock as it is to increase it. That holds true for any parameter that we test, and ones we don't test. Corals tend to do well in higher SG levels than lower. Drop your SG from 1.028 to 1.022 in one sitting and see how the corals will react.
    Moderate changes like this should be spread out over a week or so, not all at once.

2. Click Here!

3. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Before you do anything, get a refractometer. Hydrometer's arent to be trusted.
    And I agree full heartidly about not dropping the SG too fast. Just go slow with it. 1.030 isn't really all that dangerous, so no need for anything drastic yet. There are plenty of reefs out there in nature with salinity that high ;)
    Are you doing top-offs with salt water or fresh?

4. kiarah

kiarah Coral Banded Shrimp

Wow i posted this over 4 months ago! It was indeed my Hydrometer that was way out & i do totally agree that when setting up for salt water you really should buy a refractometer! I set up like my store said with a hydrometer & suffered big time........ I lost 3 new fish & 10 snails and 5 hermits but just couldnt put my finger on what the problem was as all my original stock were all swimming around happy as larry! All my param were spot on as i had the store check them. Then i thought maybe i didnt acclimitse (rubbish at spellng! lol) them long enough so i took extra long & still all new live stock died. So i sat & watched how they reacted & looked online and found they seemed to act like they has salt shock so i took my water to the lfs & my salt was very high above the 1.030 mark & the stores was only 1.025. I decided that day to buy a refractometer & took to lowering my salt very gradually so not to shock my livestock already in my tank, it took two months to do this. Then once i had my salt down i bought new snails , hermints & fish & not once have i had any die or even show any sighs off stress when added to my tank!
    My final piece off advice is dont buy a hydrometer they really are very usless & buy your self a refractometer they are super & well worth the money!

thanks all Kiarah;D

5. Dr.Fragenstein

Dr.Fragenstein Panda Puffer

My SG is 1.030 right now as well.... I don't sweat it one bit. Coral grows well, polyps are extended, fish are healthy and all is well.
    Do I WANT it that high, no, I would prefer 1.027 but hey, thats life. I also run the tank at 82degrees.

Happy reefing!