help my salt is 1.030!

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by kiarah, Dec 29, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. bmshehan

bmshehan Fu Manchu Lion Fish

I think 2-3 gallons changed a day would be fine, maybe a gallon or two in the morning and a gallon or two in the evening.

2. Click Here!

3. kiarah

kiarah Coral Banded Shrimp

The new one i got is a refractometer which i had to calabrate it at 20 c temp to 0 with di water but when i did this it was already set at 0 so then i went on to check my tank and it read 1.030 really cant belive the difference! It cost me £30 uk pounds
    Thanks K

4. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

General rule of thumb is Do not raise SG by more than 0.001 per 24 hours or decrease by more than .002 per 24 hours. For a FO tank, 1.023 is OK. For a reef tank, I would go no lower than 1.025. There are people on the forum that keep their tanks around the 1.028 mark. So you are not in the danger zone yet.....especially if the livestock is used to it.

1 person likes this.
  5. xeddyboi420x

xeddyboi420x Bristle Worm

sorry for the ignorance but what's ro/di stand for?

6. =Jwin=

=Jwin= Tassled File Fish

Reverse Osmosis De Ionize (or Ionization) water. It's the method of filtration used on the water to get all of the bad crap out. Basically, it's the really clean good stuff we want to put in a SW tank without the bad stuff such as high phosphates and chlorine, etc.

Are you sure the second hydrometer is the wrong one? I wouldn't do anything just yet. Take both hydrometers to an LFS where they KNOW what their salinity is and have them check your hydrometers. My hydro is spot on accurate, because it helped my LFS find out that their water was 0.001 off from what it was. They normally keep it at 1.024, I brought my hydro in for testing and it read 1.023. They thought it was off, but tested their own water with two refractometers and my hydro was actually right. So I wouldn't be to hasty to jump to conclusions. One of your salinity measuring devices is wrong, one is right. You need to find out which one is which. Refractometers are not gods, they can malfunction just like anything else.

7. RHorton

RHorton Pajama Cardinal

I have never had luck with the coral life hydro meters, I've bought 3 of them to compare to others they always off by allot. My instant ocean hydrometers will read 1.026 while the coral lifes read 1.019. also the coral life meters don't go to 0 so you can't check it with regular water for a 0 reading.

8. Click Here!

9. kiarah

kiarah Coral Banded Shrimp

HI i took mine to the lfs today and its set fine as they checked it agaist there water so my water is just below 1.030. I added a small amount off fresh ro water today and it now stands at 1.028 and a half ! so im doing it slowly each day.
    Thanks k

10. bc219

bc219 Millepora

I have the same coralife hydrometer and it tends to "stick" so I also use my floating hydrometer (harder to read) at the same time to make sure it's ok.

11. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Well said, great advice. Luna

12. Jace

Jace Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Take out some water then add tap or whatever water you can find and replace it.. USE A DECLORINATION AGENT!!!