Help... my acros got bugs!

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by tunamike, Sep 9, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. tunamike

tunamike Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

hi guys, as the title says i have a bad case of red bugs... not awful but now 3 frags/colonies now have it and i cant find interceptor anywhere!!??

mike

2. Click Here!

3. sceia

sceia Astrea Snail

I've taken out my acros with bugs and dipped in bayer.... Got rid of them and haven't had them since. Most say take the infected out, dip and quarantine for a few days...

4. tunamike

Bus some of the acros are encrusted to big rocks... And aren't they elsewhere in the tank? I would prefer to treat the tank and solve the problem once and for all... But tat may not be possible w/o interceptor huh?

5. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Google Interceptor Spectrum. Old Interceptor is no longer available.

Yes it safe to assume that the Red Bugs are present to some degree in the entire tank to error on the side of caution. I would definitely treat the entire tank.

6. tunamike

have you heard of anyone having success with the interceptor sentinel? im going to go to my vet tomorrow and see what he has... the spectrum is the one that looks like a dog treat correct? that is ok to put into the tank? i would think with the flavorings and other stuff in the treat type medication that would not be good for the tank, no?

7. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

The corals love the beef flavor, for some reason. I recently used my last tablet of Interceptor and have two tablets of Sentinel on hand. Haven't used Sentinel personally, but there are others who have.

8. Click Here!

9. tunamike

Lol... So it is ok to use the treat type meds... I need to get some drugs now from the vet! This will only kill things with exoskeletons correct... So snails, nems... Are fine but remove hermits, shrimp, crabs? This seems like a good time to purge my hermit population.., thinking of going all snails... Good or bad idea?

10. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I would personally keep the snails.

But yes your shrimp and crabs and pods of all types might take a hit, mine did.

Water clarity after treatment is amazing and film algae growth takes a plunge for a couple weeks.

Some get a cyano bloom afterwards, I did not.

It was easy and painless except for loosing my Pistol Shrimp.

11. tunamike

ahh... forgot about my pistol!!!! man hes gonna be a PITA to catch... oh well he's been irritating me burrowing under every rock and covering zoas in sand and pulling frags into his holes... i caught him anyways so no big loss there... i can go catch another out back if i want.