Help Me With Placement w/ Zoanthids

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by calialien, Jun 13, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. calialien

calialien Astrea Snail

I have read some conflicting information. Some books and websites state that zo's need bright light, some say medium light, some say high flow, some say medium flow.
    I have plenty of light in my tank and its about medium flow. I was going to put them near the center of the tank but am still a little sketchy on what kind of lighting they need
    :confused:
    I read somewhere (in one of my mountain of books about corals) that orange & red zo's need brighter light, and purple and blue ones need less light. If this is really the case where do red/blue purple/pink zo's end up? Is the color that they are talking about the center of the zoo or the edges of it??

2. Click Here!

3. calialien

calialien Astrea Snail

ok... well since no one answered... i think this answer is right
    "One other "environmental disease" should be mentioned. For folks using metal halide lighting in shallow water, a white bumpy condition on zoanthid oral disks has been linked with excessive light. Affected specimens need to be relocated to less bright, deeper conditions."
    just move em if they start to get white bumps

4. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

It's hard to answer this question. All members of the Zoanthidae family have different needs. (Zoanthus, Palythoa, Protopalythoa, Isaurus, Sphenopus, Parazoanthus, Epizoanthus, Acrozoanthus). Unfortunately, people do other hobbiests a dis-favor to hobbiests by calling all of the above zoos.

For instance, parazoanthids require more current and more feeding and are less dependant on lighting. Most Palythoa and Protopalythoa benefit from additional feeding and if you do, they will grow VERY quick. Most of the brightly colored polyps that are commonly traded do very well in medium lighting and medium flow.