Help Me Set Up My Reef Dynamics INS80

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by justonwo, Jan 10, 2016.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. justonwo

justonwo Fire Shrimp

I'm not even sure if this is the correct model, as the company is no longer in business and the literature is sparse.

The skimmer has two adjustments - a telescoping riser pipe on the outlet of the main chamber and a needle valve for the air intake. I can't find instructions anywhere. A few questions:

1) What water level should the skimmer be sitting at in my sump?

2) I assume the telescoping riser helps to adjust the water level inside the main chamber? Is that true? If that's the case, what is the target water level?

3) It would seem most people leave the needle valve fully open. What would be the condition under which you would throttle the air intake to the impeller? Here's a photo of the skimmer in question.

[​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. justonwo

justonwo Fire Shrimp

Hmmmm . . . perhaps a much simpler question. I have an ATO, so maintaining a consistent water level is not a problem. However, I'm curious, is there an advantage to having a low vs. high sump level?

4. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Usually the ideal depth is 7-10 inches but it varies from skimmer to skimmer.Yes the outlet tube should be the water height adjustment. I usually set it to where the foam is just reaching the base of the cup but this also varies depending on the skimmer. This is also a kind of experiment needed type of thing as some people like to skim wet and some dry. Skimming wetter can alter salinity to a small degree and flooding of the cup can occur a little easier if you add food or are carbon dosing. I always leave my air flow wide open. As you stated keeping the skimmer in a compartment with a steady water level is very important so you don't have to fiddle with it as much.The amount of fiddling will ultimately be determined by the quality of the skimmer,pump, and other factors I listed.The water level in the sump really only matters for the skimmer and possibly a refugium. The more water volume the better so I would suggest the highest level possible that will not flood during a power outage.
    Here's a YouTube video of it.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2016
  5. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

There is a foam level sticker on the cup. Not sure if that is something the user puts on or the factory.
    It looks like he has the foam level midway up the throat of the cup.
    I was able to find this as well.
    INS80S Specs:
    The INS80S protein skimmer is rated to filter up to a 120 gallon marine aquarium, 80 gallon aquariums that are heavily stocked with live coral. Welded together with thick durable acrylic and PVC parts by American workers, you know the quality will be unmatched. The INS80S includes the protein skimmer body, protein skimmer cup and lid, collection cup quick-lock, the 1 1/4" adjustable outlet assembly, 1 1/4" air silencer, modified Sicce PSK pump with venturi and 2 feet of air hose, pump outlet fitting, and an air adjustment valve. This will be the last protein skimmer you will ever need for your home reef aquarium.
    • Sump Space Required For Skimmer/ Footprint: 9" x 9"
    • Minimum Height Required: 22"
    • Ideal Water Level: 6.5" Constant
    • Reaction Chamber & Cup Diameter: 5"
    • Reaction Chamber Volume: 1.02 Gallons
    • Pump Inlet Size: 3/4"
    • Water Outlet Size: 1¼"
    • Pump (included): Modified Sicce Pin-Wheel Pump
    • Pump Consumption With Maximum Air Intake: 17 Watts @ 115/120 VAC 60hz
    • Air Intake: 360-480 lph

6. justonwo

justonwo Fire Shrimp

Thanks for the help, guys. Today, my skimmer was acting very funny, with virtually no foam generation. I took the pump apart and quickly realized the problem - the air inlet was nearly completely sealed from salt crystallization. After removing the salts from the air inlet, there was so much air flow I the cup completely overflowed. I had to lower the riser to its minimum setting and throttle back the air to keep the cup from skimming water. Now it's skimming like a champ. No wonder I was having so many problems! Hopefully, this will drastically reduce the nutrient levels and get my nitrates down.