Help Me Or Im Getting Out!!

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by METZCOOL, Jul 29, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. GeejEx

GeejEx Skunk Shrimp

Agreed on the current and water testing- $30 at Radio Shack or $10 ground probe will fix the electrical. Does your LFS carry pre-made water and do water testing? Do you have a refractometer or at least multiple hydrometers?

also... some of the experts might flay me on this, but what about pulling out all the extra hardware and running with a minimal setup? Take out the wave boxes, reactor, etc? If there are extra funds in the budget a QT tank to hold a single coral for a month or two might help minimize the variables. Buy something you don't mind losing for the test (harsh, I know). If it survives, try it in the display and note the reaction carefully in a notebook. Use the DT water for the QT, that will be the first test.

Last question: what does the light cycle look like, distance to water, etc?

2. Click Here!

3. PorkyBubs

PorkyBubs Spaghetti Worm

I dont know anything you said but all my LFS do carry already mixed salt water, and do free water test.

4. METZCOOL

METZCOOL Plankton

Ordered me a ground probe today and none of my lfs test for more then what I test for at home. Have a refractometer and hydrometer. Any place you can send your water to?
    If ground probe will not help I will buy some shrooms and put in QT and see what happens.

5. mandarin11

mandarin11 Peppermint Shrimp

You have a chiller and your tank is at 80? Normally with one of those bad boys on there it is kept at 78. (Yes 2 degrees can make a big difference). How reliable is your thermometer? BTW I would rely on a $2 floating thermometer before an expensive digital one. Digital thermometers can fail, but mercury doesn't lie.;)

That is one of the things that popped into my mind, but let's see how everything does with the ground probe and we'll go from there.

Was the LR nuked before you put it in? We may also need to look at the possibility of some unwanted hitchhikers that are bothering the corals.

6. METZCOOL

METZCOOL Plankton

Rock was not nuked, but no fish loss from time of original setup and no strange things seen or heard at night or during the day. Live rock was premium fuji from fosters and smith. Cured in tank during intitial tank set up.
    Have checked with my mercury thermometer.

7. rayjay

rayjay Gigas Clam

FWIW, Most hobbyists around here keep their tanks in the 80F range, some a little higher some a little lower.
    All of my tanks, except the seahorse tank, are around 80 82 in winter but summertime, they run 84 to 86, sometimes peaking to 88F in the afternoon of a real bad day.
    In my almost 15 yrs in the hobby, I've only experienced problems when I reach 90 and higher, although I wouldn't want to sit at 88F for any length of time.

8. Click Here!

9. njdevilsfan

njdevilsfan Flamingo Tongue

i would get out of the hobby

10. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Are you on well water ? or city water do you use R/O and D.I or one or the other ? And had you ever checked the tank for voltage if so what where the readings of the meter ?

11. njdevilsfan

njdevilsfan Flamingo Tongue

12. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

what are the dimensions of your tank (l,w,h)?
    do you have a par meter?
    what is your Sr?
    what is your TDS?
    how is your water replenished and from where (well, tap, ro/di)?
    what is your O2?
    what is your Si?

Last edited: Aug 3, 2008