Help me ID This thing!!

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by HollyG, Jun 2, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. HollyG

HollyG Teardrop Maxima Clam

Ok, this may seem silly, IDing a coral as a Lobo or a candycane lol But the thing is it looks an awefully a lot like a candycane coral to me. Teal center with brownish purple rim. It kind of seems like it has a branching type skeleton that the guy fragged this head from, but it isn't very long. The skeleton is only about 1" from the plug to the base of the flesh of the polyp. It's burried in the sand in the pic so my hermits wouldn't push it around. If it's a candy cane I will then be gluing it onto the rockwork somewhere.. I have never had a Lobo before, but from all the pictures I have been looking at... This one looks like a candy cane. I haven't seen a pic of a lobo that looks like this. I dunno... What do you guys think? Is this indeed a lobo or a candycane?
    IMG_00000316.jpg

Last edited: Jun 4, 2012
  2. Click Here!

3. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

im saying candycane i have one just like it

4. Kevin3884

Kevin3884 Tassled File Fish

yup i agree

5. HollyG

Yea! I was looking at pics of candy canes online and the colors and look of the head looks like a candy cane to me. I was actually looking for a candy cane of this color anyway, so I'm still happy with what I got! I have a neon green trumpet coral, so when I saw that this may be a candy cane and not a lobo I was a little excited. If it had more heads or the skeleton was longer I would have been able to ID it myself lol The short skeleton it what's making me a little unsure.. I think the guy just fragged the skeleton short though.

6. HollyG

I asked if he actually knew 100% if it was a lobo and he said it was bought as an "aussie neon center lobo" from online. I dunno... I looked them up, doesn't look like one to me. I still think its a candy cane.

7. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

I agree it is a candy cane.

8. Click Here!

9. HollyG

The thing is that it has a little "bend" in the polyp like it is splitting but only has one mouth, not 2. I know Lobos have that curvy wavy look... I thought if candy cane needs 2 mouths first before starting to split which looks like a little curve in the polyp. At least that's how I noticed my trumpet splits. I typed in aussie lobo in google and saw some that looked similar. The skeleton is the exact width of the head too, do candy canes have a larger width head compared to the skeleton like the trumpets do?

10. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

No they can start to bend for a split before having a mouth every once in a while. The oral opening is way out of center also. I think it is forming another on the left side.

11. HollyG

Yea I noticed that too. It's way off to the right lol It also has way longer sweepers at night than I hear the candy cane has. If they are suppose to has the same length sweepers as the trumpet coral (which mine only have about 1/2" sweepers) this "candy cane" has 2 or 3 super long sweepers a good 2 1/2" long! Along with a bunch of smaller ones. I keep bouncing back and fourth about it being a candy cane or a lobo lol I really don't know lol

12. NanaReefer

NanaReefer Fu Manchu Lion Fish