Help Me ID This Please!

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by Servillius, Mar 4, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Servillius

Servillius Montipora Digitata

I don't have much experience with fish diseases because Ive been very lucky in recent years. My yellow tang has been in the tank for two weeks now and I saw this yesterday. I don't know what it is or how best to treat.

My water conditions are excellent and he does not appear to be stressed. He is eating well and aside from favoring the fin appears to be behaving comfortably. Can anyone ID and is there anything I can do without trying to catch a tang in a big tank?

[​IMG]

Thanks.

2. Click Here!

3. Kevin3884

Kevin3884 Tassled File Fish

can't tell from the pic...but what are u using as rock in ur tank? Tangs need livrock to graze on

4. Zoanthids21

Zoanthids21 McKoscker’s Flasher Wrasse

+1 to the above, how big is your tank and LR.

But i dont see anything wrong with it, if you are thinking of that white spot in the middle its normal.

5. RedGambit

RedGambit Giant Squid

The tang if you look closely appears to have some issue on its fin, Similiar to a bacterial infection

6. JMALACHI

JMALACHI Feather Duster

The only thing other than possibly the tang accidentally injuring itself would be the beginning of ick. I hope not though

7. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

I'm going to guess it's a bacterial infection on its fin.

8. Click Here!

9. ReefPlayground

ReefPlayground 3reef Sponsor

Dont think its bacterial. You would generally see red soars or streaks on the fish and bacterial infections are generally rare in sw, they only tend to appear as a secondary infection. W/O putting it under the microscope you cant really tell for sure, but it could be a number of things, ie: brooklynella, uronema, velvet, etc., it looks more like a parasitic infection to me.

As far as treating, you can go several routes, but the best thing would be to put him in a hospital tank or preforming medicated dips.