Help Me Decide!!

Discussion in 'Sand' started by Reakwonthachef, Feb 25, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Reakwonthachef

Reakwonthachef Feather Duster

Ok so after reading for 4 hrs on this site and looking at pics of BB vs Sand displays I am still on the fence. I have a 40 breeder, currently with black sand. I may replace the sand with a 1/2" piece of black starboard, siliconed around the edges.

What would you do? BB or keep the sand bed?

2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

I like the sand because it look more natural to me. It also allows you to have fish that sleep in the sand of live in or on the sand.

4. leighton1245

leighton1245 Horrid Stonefish

5. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

I like sand... You will like the white over black sand.

6. Reef-a-holic

Reef-a-holic 3reef Sponsor

BB is easier to keep from one perspective. Personally I'll deal with maintaining a sand bed for aesthetic reasons and because I enjoy some of the animals that need sand in my displays. For non-display tanks I almost always go BB unless it's going to house something that requires a substrate.

7. Reakwonthachef

The little tube worms that make themselves out of the sand, forgot what they are called. Other than them what else lives in the sand that is beneficial?

8. Click Here!

9. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

TONS of bacteria, then certain snails and starfish, but mostly bacteria! I'd say unless you're going all PRO with top of the line skimmers/reactors, do a sand bed to help you keep a stable environment! I'm lazy and think that a substrate provides necessary bacteria to help with my shortfalls as a tank owner!

10. thepanfish

thepanfish Flying Squid

Marinepure bioballs/biopellets.

11. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

yeah, i know, they work great, i'm just a fan of letting nature be nature as much as we can! just my own preference! I hear those things are miracle workers though!

12. Reakwonthachef

Yeah, but how is this nature when its stuffed in a glass cube? Plus the ocean sand bed is super deep it has room for all that decay, my tank sand bed is like 2.5 inches LOL. I like the coraline look, I think it looks tie dye, some of it glows under blue leds. Any one have a bb that could chime in? Can you put a clam in a bb?