Help me choose my lights

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by cuttingras, Oct 26, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

Help me decide

Poll closed Oct 28, 2008.
  1. #1(Catalina Aquarium Lighting)

57.1%
  2. #2(Nova Extreme Pro)

42.9%
  3. #3 you recommend for me, but keep it right around 600 bucks and no MH's

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

Don't know where your getting that info but just take a PAR meter and throw in a tank with MH's then your T's and see for yourself. Guess if it's a mushroom xenia tank then you are good to go.

2. Click Here!

3. dimweb

dimweb 3reef Sponsor

True True I guess your a MH guy 2 Otty :)

4. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

5. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

my answer yes if you replace all the bulbs(there all oddecrappy), and if the ballast can run the new bulbs. which the thread on here about the ballast not being able to power the bulbs was the first time i ever heard some thing like that

6. cuttingras

see that's what I'm trying to avoid also, replacing stuff on a new unit. doesn't make too much sense to me. I'll stick with the 10x80's. I'll let you all know how everthing like them!:)

7. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

Last edited: Oct 27, 2008
  8. Click Here!

9. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

Well? Did you decide and order?

10. cuttingras

decided on ughhhhhhhhhhh I hate having to decide..............lol no, I'm 98% sure I'm going with #1. Otty is so set on MH's, as are others, but I can't afford to change bulbs every 6-8 mos and they are expensive........ so with that being said yep, #1 I will call the guy tomorrow. I've got my follow up for my foot in the morning so when I get home it should be 9-10 am in Cali, I'll call then. Not gonna order them from ebay, order them direct.

what flavor:)lol:) bulbs should I order? 10k,14k 20k 420(my personal fav);):p or 460?

11. Iraf

Iraf Snowflake Eel

honesly on a 72" tank I'd just do a MH setup, there isnt a great T5 rig in 72" yet and PC's wont cut it, also the MH array listed earlier was only 3x150w bulbs so I wouldnt do that unless you have a really shallow tank, you'd need 3x 250 to cut it

Aquatraders has a decent in-expensive MH setup for under 700 with bulbs, can upgrade ballasts and bulbs later but that's what I'd do

Or you can build a canopy and stagger a bunch of 36" T5's or even do 48" in a staggered offset

last suggestion would be the cheapest most likely and produce a great amount of light

Also to the par meter on T5's I'm going to buy one I'll get a good reading on my T5 tek setup after water goes in but before rock just to see what it is

12. scenario1313

scenario1313 Tassled File Fish

So what you gonna get Linda. I am exited for you. A new toy. I love new toys.