Help me choose my lights

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by cuttingras, Oct 26, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

Help me decide

Poll closed Oct 28, 2008.
  1. #1(Catalina Aquarium Lighting)

57.1%
  2. #2(Nova Extreme Pro)

42.9%
  3. #3 you recommend for me, but keep it right around 600 bucks and no MH's

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

By the way gras, congrats on the budget(good one) for the new lighting. Can't wait to see pics......... Your hubby will probably be stoked to. Not that he will be stoked with the lights but, from the sounds of it you have been working on this for a while. Well, pretty sure since you got that new tank.;):) So, I guess he won't have to hear about "lights for the new tank" anymore..;D When do you plan on making the big purchase?

2. Click Here!

3. BluePhish

BluePhish Teardrop Maxima Clam

i run a 4x54 watt nova on a 24" deep tank. what do you plan on keeping at the bottom.?

i would go with the nova ...my reasoning is the nova has individual contoured reflectors. this is a big plus over the moon lights(you know you will want to add those cool new 4 led strips that just came out anyways.)

nova is prob a more trusted brand(dint see who made the ebay setup), and when you are dealing with that much lighting you want a company that will back it up. the ebay setup also did not say what bulbs you would be getting. you know you will at least get current bulbs with the nova(upgrade to UVL later). ebay guy could give you like a spencers black light and call it actinic.

and i think white leds look better..LOL.

and i like the nova fixture better cause i bet the flat black of the nova does not get as hot as the shiny black of the ebay item..

4. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

Definitely pleads a really good case. Bulbs could turn out to be a huge replacement. Tell hubby "I got the new light but, I need bulbs" Ouch! 10 of them.....

1 person likes this.
  5. BluePhish

BluePhish Teardrop Maxima Clam

plus will the tank have a center brace?, that will kinda cancel out the positive of having a solid 72" bulb.

plus the nova would leave you the option of having one side a deep water(all blues) lighting and one side a bright sps side.

1 person likes this.
  6. R34dawn

R34dawn Ocellaris Clown

You might like to see the same product elsewhere, because I think there is a misprint or something, I have the nova extreme 48" 4 X 54w on my 55g and normally the longer the bulb the higher the wattage, then again they are probably sets of 36" bulbs what explains the low wattage, now if I was to get lights for 135g I be doing a little more reading on their capabilities, 80w on a 135g be like 5.92 watts per gal almost 6w, but bare in mind that
    T-5's are known to put out 3 or so more watts per sq foot than MH and might cause to bleach your corals, just a thought

1 person likes this.
  7. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

Thanks Casey, which ever set I get, I'll order them tomorrow. Yeah, he only hears it from me when he mentions it. I don't complain. I want him to see the effects of crappy lights. I know, if he's not seen them with good, how will he know the difference. He'll see in a few days!

I can use the fans off my 36" pc's. There is spaces where you can put fans.

yeah wouldn't that be fun...I'm thinking the D word. :lol: I think I'll(and the corals) would be happy with the light it puts out and when I go to replace bulbs, I'll get better ones then, unless these are good to begin with.

Can do that, 5 bulbs on each side, alternated...

yep I thought about that too. I can always take out a bulb or two if they are too much. If it's too little light I'd have to add more lights and that would really piss hubby off.:)

I'm pretty set on choice #1. So, I'll call them today and see what they say. Any questions I need to ask????

8. Click Here!

9. getinpora

getinpora Coral Banded Shrimp

Go For It!!! (NUMBER 1) always can up grade.first ten years is experimental anyway. good luck and Keep On Reefing

1 person likes this.
  10. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

You forgot #4 on your polls........some real lights..... MH's:p

1 person likes this.
  11. cuttingras

LOL hubby won't let me go there!:-/ plus everything I've read up to this point says there is little difference in MH's (other than heat issues and shimmer) and T5's.

12. cuttingras

OK now what bulbs......keep in mind it's 10 bulbs 10k, 14k, 20k, 420, 460. how many of each?