Help me beat my boyfriend!

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by skittlesandbeer, Dec 10, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. skittlesandbeer

skittlesandbeer Astrea Snail

Relatively new to the forum, and also to taking care of fish altogether, except for those ones you win from throwing ping pong balls at the fair...

So here's the story. I've been developing an interest in my boyfriend's tanks since he started taking me along to the pet store with him. He claims that it's my fault his fish are dying because since we started dating he hasn't spent as much time taking care of them. He also tried to tell me today that MY lionfish killed HIS clownfish (I told him he probably should have fed the lionfish the night before like he was supposed to and then it wouldn't have been hungry and gone after his clownfish).

But I digress.

The point is, we were talking about starting a smaller saltwater tank to try and really do it right from the start, and then apply that to his 120 gallon tank, which is doing okay, but not as well as he'd like. I told him that we should start up dueling tanks and see whose does better. We would both be setting up at 20 gallon tall. Also thinking this would help so we could get fish up to a decent size before introducing them to the tank with the lionfish so they would stand a fighting chance.

Right now I'm just looking to do A LOT of research. The project probably won't get up and running until after Christmas so we can devote more money to getting proper lighting and equipment and whatnot. I'm looking for good beginner guides and tips for a complete n00b.

I will be sure to keep everybody updated. We're both pretty competitive so this should get interesting :)

2. Click Here!

3. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

is he a member here?
    because you have a much greater advantage by joining this site if he isnt a member.

Welcome to the site though ;P

4. divott

divott Giant Squid

hmmm, do you 2 wallpaper together? lol. seriously , i wish you the best in this new endeavor . with the reasearch and time you wil ldo excellently. good luck with it all.

5. skittlesandbeer

He's sitting next to me fuming because I registered here before he did, hehe.

He thinks because I'm a girl (and this seems to be a mostly male forum) that I'm going to get more help from you guys than he would be able to. I think he's trying to find a different forum to join right now.

6. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

lol 3reef is going to be better than whateve forum he finds, and i hope you win :lol:

7. bluetang08

bluetang08 Purple Spiny Lobster

GL. By the way are you going for a full on reef or just a fish only?

8. Click Here!

9. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

my advice is to decide on community or predatory tank before stocking a new display tank.. once you start cant go back.. a few friendly fish with corals and such is my opinion.. ive done both.. nothing sucks more that having a aggressive $20 fish eat a friendly $80+ fish.. :) watch out for most damsels!!!

10. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

ha we dont discriminate based on sex... the knowledge is free to anyone

11. RedGambit

RedGambit Giant Squid

lol, I guess you could say that. However, I am Male and Have had many of the members on this forum help me in my endeavor to set up my tank. I personally dont think it matters all so much on the gender of a person :p.

He could go behind your back and join a local reef club and get to talk to people and see their tanks and stuff in person. haha...

12. skittlesandbeer

I haven't really decided yet, it's not really part of the rules of the competition so I suppose it could go either way. I am completely open to suggestion at this point.