Unresolved Help mandarin goby

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by macabe, Sep 25, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. macabe

macabe Purple Spiny Lobster

he went back to the top >.<

2. Click Here!

3. hasek1639

hasek1639 Fire Shrimp

first off not to be mr.downer here but a mandarin in a 29 bio cube not the greatest thing for him. He will rip through those pods quickly the only way is to get him on prepared food quick. the color change is completely normal mine goes all camo at night then in the morning goes back to normal. as for the swimming on the top i am leaning with KC on this one maybe not enough O2 in the tank. hope it helps

4. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

This is not a fish I would take on, and I have been keeping marine fish a long time.

Ones needs a established tank over a year old IMO.

And a mandarin that is eating frozen or pellets. Mandarins will mow down the population of pods in smaller tanks in no time at all and then slowly starve.

Captive breed is of course better, but both wild and captive have a low long term success rate. It is really too bad as this is one of the most popular fish and most frequently sold.

5. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

He's sleeping.

A mandarin shouldn't be in a 29g, though.

6. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

Dragonettes cover themselves with a poisonous slime coating when they sleep.

7. ManNurseReefer

ManNurseReefer Fire Shrimp

He may be ok for a while but in the long run his chances of survival in a 29 gallon tank are very poor. Those fish are very hard to keep alive in lower volume tanks. If you could get it out alive you might want to trade it for a fish more suitable for that tank.

8. Click Here!

9. blackraven1425

Is this any different from their normal slime coating, or just thicker?

BTW, does this mandarin eat any flake, frozen or pellet food?

Last edited: Sep 25, 2010
  10. macabe

No he doasnt eat flake or frozen but i bought more cope pods i put them in the back of my fuge in the bio cube 29 witch means i have some in the DT and in my fuge he seems to be ok if i notice that he gets thin i will take him to my lfs even if i don't get a refund cause i do not want him to die he looks ok today looks happy at the moment hes the king of my bio cube for he is the only fish i have but maybe he will be ok my tank was used by my lfs as a display it was healthy there i had some nitrite and ammonia issues a week ago but i bought allot of live rock so now everything is stable i think he will be ok

11. macabe

i fixed that problem i drilled a hole in the middle of the nozzle on the stock power head and added a 1inch peace of tubing so now its got enough oxygen in there i think i also noticed my mushrooms opened more and the mushroom i had that was having problems also opened up all the way i think i had a oxygen issue

12. blackraven1425

...wait, so you had ammonia issues within a week of getting the mandarin? Is this a brand new tank?? There's no way there's enough pods for this guy in that case. There's not enough of the organisms that are lower on the food chain in the tank for the pods to eat and thrive, let alone the mandarin. These guys need a well established tank for that reason.

BTW, your mandarin is wild caught. Just thought I should mention that.