help: losing fish, not inverts!

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by ross6200, Oct 5, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

[quote author=ross6200 link=board=ASAP;num=1097024769;start=15#19 date=10/06/04 at 08:56:40]If that's the culprit, I will let you all know.  But would copper also kill my inverts?[/quote]

Yes. Also, just because you can't feel stray voltage, doesn't mean that it's not there. Is the tank grounded?

2. Click Here!

3. ross6200

ross6200 Plankton

Yes - the tank is grounded.

4. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

I wouldn't suspect copper is your problem, but something else building up in your water. Your right, o2 shouldn't be a problem with a skimmer on it. Hmmm, I was suspecting your salinity was off, what kind of device are you using to check it with? I just tested my buddies glass against my refractometer, it his was off by .03 on the high side. His was running at 1.028, instead of 1.025.

5. ross6200

ross6200 Plankton

I'm not sure of the brands, but I have the floating kind (thermometer-type) and the plexigalss type that you fill. They both give the same reading....

6. hoodoo

hoodoo Fire Shrimp

that part with the voltage is good. I never thaught about that...

How do you ground a tank? I guess I should do that when I set up my new tank tomorrow.

7. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

8. Click Here!

9. dano

dano Spaghetti Worm

i sort of dont believe that. up here in the land of 10,000 lakes we get some really strong storms that hit the lakes pretty frequintly. a 50 gallon or so tank zapped with 110ac is a pretty close ratio to a 200 acre being zapped with a 100,000 volt bolt of lighting. if that were true every living fish up here would have died 100 years ago.
    thats just my opinion into selling more products.

10. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

Dano,

Are the lakes salt water?

John

11. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

Dano I had a fish only tank years ago and I had a beautiful French angle fish that would eat out of my hand. One day I noticed him swimming erratically around the tank, he would bump into the glass and he appeared to be trying to jump out of the tank I couldn't figure out what was wrong and the problem got worse and worse until he died. Well I found out what the problem was!! Salt creped into my light and it was shorting to the salt water in the tank.......... John

12. Terry_B

Terry_B Plankton

Are you testing the ammonia and pH of the water? Please give us all your water parameters. Do you quarantine all new fish in a seperate tank for 3+ weeks before you add them to your display tank? Have you tried using RO water instead of tap water?
    You can read about quarantine methodology by followintg this link:
    http://www.marineaquariumadvice.com/quarantine_methodology_1.html

HTH,
    Terry B