help: losing fish, not inverts!

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by ross6200, Oct 5, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ross6200

ross6200 Plankton

Acclimating the fish could be the issue, if I had to think of something I could be more diligent with. I typically drip for 45 minutes. But I know for some of the fish over the past year I have spent less time than this.

But even with the fish that I dripped between 45 minutes to an hour, they all eventually died, too.

I get all my fish from the same 2 stores: a Petco, and a 'high-end' saltwater fish shop. I have noticed no advantages to buying from either place.

2. Click Here!

3. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

Well IMHO 45 minutes is far too long. Temps should be OK, I run at approx 75 and that has never been a problem.

What the salinity?

John

4. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

This is a good one.
    Unfortunately it can only be solved by asking question,  so I apologize in advance.
    - how many fish do you keep at one time?
    - Is there any fish that is a "Long" liver?
    - What do you feed your fish?
    - Do they seem to eat well while alive?
    - How is the skimmer water returned to the tank? (I'm thinking low O2 in the water)

Jason

5. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

Jason,

I am also thinking along the O2 line as well as salinity :)

Hey ross6200, ever get a tingle when you put your hand in the tank?

John

6. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

Yes, o2 (Ph) and salinity shock.

Whats your parameters? Does your "high end" lfs do tests for poeple?

7. ross6200

ross6200 Plankton

Thanks to everyone for trying to help. Here are the answers to your questions:

- I usually drip for 45 minutes. Is that too long?

- I clean my Eheim wet/dry evry 3 months (but not the bio balls!)

- the CPR Bakpak works great, with about 1/2-inch thick stuff each day

- I usually have only 3-5 fish in the tank at a time - usually the smaller variety damsels, firefish, dottybacks, with one-two larger fish (wrasse, pygmy angel, etc)

- I have had a couple fish that have 'bucked the trend', and lived for 2-3 months. One of them - a velvet damsel - has since moved to another tank because i thought his aggressiveness could be the problem (apparently not)

- I feed a combination of frozen foods, from brine shrimp to angel formula

- I also suspected low O2 levels a while ago. I thought adding the skimmer (about 6 months ago) and the extra power head (3 months ago), combined with the Eheim wet/dry would be more than sufficient at aeration.

- My salinity is 1.22-1.23, should be fine, right?

- no, I do not have an electricity leak. I have had that in the past (with another tank), so I know what that feels like!

- my local saltwater shop may do full tests; I will call them and ask, (they are aware of my problem, though)

Basically, I've always thought there was a problem with either O2 or there is some weird chemical in my tap water. But nothing I've tried seems to work. Plus, the INVERTS are doing fine? Shouldn't they be dead, too? My urchins have been going strong for nearly a year, and the crabs almost 6 months!

8. Click Here!

9. dano

dano Spaghetti Worm

tap water could be an issue. i live up in minnesota my area has hard water deposits, copper content and clorine. for the first couple changes i would get ammonia spikes through the roof that lasted for a day or two. since i switched to ro that i get from my pops works water plant the tank has been pretty stable. after the changes my yellow tail damsels would loose their total color until the ammonia fell.

10. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

1.023 isn't bad, but many go to 1.025. - Doubt this is the reason myself.

Your skimmer is pulling out a lot of crud. How often are you feeding them?

EDIT - Looks like Dano and I were posting at the same time. I would like to hear about the water too.

11. dano

dano Spaghetti Worm

another thought try two yellow tail damsels. they are one of the best fish for testing and starting tanks. i believe they are one of the hardiest salt water fishes around

12. ross6200

ross6200 Plankton

Yes - I suspect my tap water even more now. I will go buy some additional test kits that test for copper and other chemicals (I know I should have already done this).

I only feed the fish once a day, sometime twice on weekends. And only what they can eat.

Believe me, I have tried doing the damsel thing, and have had no luck: yellow tails, fijis, chromis, blue fin, you name it....damsels have fared no better than the yellow tang or rusty angel I once had.

let me check the copper, though. If that's the culprit, I will let you all know. But would copper also kill my inverts?