Help!!! Killing Aiptasia with Joes Juice

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by jackerma, Mar 29, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jackerma

jackerma Bristle Worm

I am still not having any luck....:furious3: They go back into their straw-like homes when I get anywhere close. I tried to squeeze some down the little chute thing, to get to it. No luck. It popped back out today.... am I missing something, they are lightning fast to close and retract into the straw? Is it possible that this is something else? The stuff seems to be killing the polyps it touches too.

2. Click Here!

3. GAZBO

GAZBO Fire Shrimp

Is there anyway you can add some peppermint shrimp thats the way I got rid of them. Just wished they ate mojano anemones I am still battling them and I use Joejuice for them the only thing found to work on those pests

4. jackerma

jackerma Bristle Worm

Is it possible that these are the tube feather dusters? I found a couple items that looked similar, and if so, are those bad?

5. Brandon1023

Brandon1023 Fire Goby

Could be. Any possibility of a pic? I've used Joe's Juice and yes some aiptasia get away from me when they retract, but I have never had the problem you seem to be having. I wouldn't call them "lightening fast" like you did above. It's not usually this hard so I'm thinking maybe you're going after something else...

6. Brandon1023

Brandon1023 Fire Goby

I re-read this. Straw-like homes? Definitely not aiptasia.

7. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

when common white/clear crown feather dusters are babies they look kinda like aiptasia, I'd say you probably have feather dusters and no they aren't bad, the opposite, they are good! filter feeders..they clean the water. can you get a pic? aiptasia are a brown color. some glass anemone's are white/clear. does the tube stay there when the thing retracts? looks like a light brown colored/gray straw or tube?

8. Click Here!

9. jackerma

jackerma Bristle Worm

I have attached some pictures. They are to the right and left of polyp near the middle. The "straws" or tubes do stay in place and the thing retracts into it. Thanks for the possible good news. Most of the time when something shows up in my tank it is always the worst thing that it could be ;D, not free water filters......

Attached Files:

10. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Those are feather dusters not aiptasia :D

11. jackerma

jackerma Bristle Worm

BTW... you can somewhat see the tube in for the one on the left b/c the joes juice killed the surrounding polyps. It is a grayish white color maybe from the joes juice:). There are three or four of these things on this section of rock and I have not seen any spreading to speak of, and all that I have seen do have the straws they live in as well. Thanks again for the help.

12. Brandon1023

Brandon1023 Fire Goby

Clouds lifting, I hope?