Urgent Help!! Is my frogspawn dying!?!?!?!

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by dsmikey, Sep 7, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. dsmikey

dsmikey Astrea Snail

Lsat week I added a lovely 2 headed piece of Frogspawn to my tank. He has the left portion of the tank all to himself. I haven't been able to sit and observe my tank much until today. I will be getting a Green rose BTA at the end of the week, so I moved a rock that had a ric on it about an inch in diameter and some green palys to make room for the RBTA. When I did so the green paly's expelled a little brown mucus. Just prior to that I had fed my tank some mysis shrimp.

A few minutes later I observed that the Frogspawn had retracted it's tentacles and I notice it was starting to split a 3rd head. After 5/6 days it already had a 3rd mouth. The sweeper tentacles were out. The frogspawn has now completely retracted into itself. It now looks just like it did when I added it to the tank.

Is this normal feeding behavior?:eek:

or was it a victim of chemical warfare?:cry:

All the other coral looks great.
    I couldn't tell you my exact water parameters, but I had my water test last night and was told everything was perfect. Nitrates were at like 5-10, calcium at 450, don't remember the rest, but it was perfect. I've been getting my water tested every few days religiously to ensure perfection before adding the $100 anemone, and the LFS will guarentee livestock if they test the water first and tell you it's okay(will be the single most expensive piece I've ever bought).

My lighting is 2-T5HO's 1 ac 1 10k, today I added a T8 50/50 I had lieing around to increase the lighting in the front of my tank.

When I noticed the issue i was worried it might have been a flow issue so I removed the rotating head from the nearest Voyager 1, their is still great flow around the frogspawn, but less directional flow near it.

PLEASE HELP! I'm in a small state of panic.:-/

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. saints fan 420

saints fan 420 Expensive Colorful Sticks

from the picture it just looks a little stressed from maybe you tinckering with the tank.. the colors on it look good, and its not super sucked in it just looks closed up from stress

the only way were gonna be able to help you is if you test your water params and post them..

4. tank1970

tank1970 Bubble Tip Anemone

I would put it on the sand for now - being in a rock can sometimes rub the soft tissue and make it retract (you might worry about brown jelly) if the tissue breakes.
    I would try to put it into a less flow area for a bit.

Some corals take longer to acclimate.

5. ReefBruh

ReefBruh Giant Squid

Just a reminder that when you add that rbta, it will move until it feels comfortable and it might bulldoze the corals you already have on the rock. Just an FYI. Hoooooah

6. country1911

country1911 Coral Banded Shrimp

Maybe I missed it, but how deep is your tank? 2 t5ho bulbs and one t8 may not he enough for it if, and def may be too little for the nem.

I am not an expert tho, maybe someone who is will chime in on that.

Sent from my Evo

7. dsmikey

dsmikey Astrea Snail

18 inches, the frogspawn is 6-8 inches-ish from the lights, the spot i'm hoping the nem will settle is right below the water surface.

8. Click Here!

9. dsmikey

dsmikey Astrea Snail

Frogspawn moved to the sand this morning, and still no response. Not retracted just closed. Had water tested today, last test on tuesday was pristine. Today's was crazy. kH was over 20! And calcium had plummetted from 450 to 300 in two days.

Salinity 1.025
    ph 8.0
    Alk 20+!!
    Ammonia 0
    Nitrite 0
    Nitrate 0
    Phos 0
    Calc 300!!!

The guys at the store were stumped as to what would make my Alk shoot up in less than 48 hours, and figure that that increase caused my corals to suck up calc to protect themselves.

Conducted another 10% water change today. While the water level was lower and the powerheads off I spot feed everybody with a sterile syringe (taken from my emt bag ;p) some mysis shrimp. Then I add the new water. After being fed, the Frogspawn opened up a little and looked happy? happier? if a coral could talk I think it would tell me it was pleased. But has since closed back up. He's not receded, flesh still out and looking good, no sign of infection. Just closed.

Any ideas why the Ak would jump up?

Going to test the water again tomorrow.