help identify cone shell hitchhiker

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by austinaquarist, Nov 21, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. austinaquarist

austinaquarist Plankton

I found this cone shell snail hitchhiker in my 75 gallon and was wondering if anyone could identify it? I like hitchhikers, but I'm concerned about the cone shells, because they can be predatory or venomous. I've got corals, crabs, clams and fish in my tank...also my hand; and it would ruin my day if this sucker killed me.

Attached Files:

• 1a.jpg
      1a.jpg
      File size:
      16 KB
      Views:
    • 1b.jpg
      1b.jpg
      File size:
      14 KB
      Views:
  2. Click Here!

3. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

By it's snout I would say it's a conch of some sort but I think you knew that already.

Sorry not much help.

4. mushroom_man

mushroom_man Bubble Tip Anemone

miami,right near da beach BOYE!, FL,Florida
    looks like a cowrie to me. i could be wrong though, ill do a little looking around for you.

5. k9BOLX

k9BOLX Spaghetti Worm

its not a nerite?

6. m_lacom99

m_lacom99 Stylophora

Came across this site while searching ConeShells-Homepage have a look in the galleries. But from what i saw maybe :

Conus spurius
    Conus zapatosensis
    Conus pulicarius pulicarius
    Conus eburneus

Do some research and let us know.

Marc.

7. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Were did the rock come from?

j

8. Click Here!

9. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

It sort of looks like a Flamingo Tongue(not reef safe)! If I were you, i'd remove it from my tank...If it isn't a Nassarius with it's planula-I wouldn't take a chance!!!
    I'd be willing to bet that it isn't a Conch due to the planula(extended "snout"). Conch have a thicker, almost like an Elephant's trunk, mouth as well as very well defined eyes which are evident and protrude above its shell!
    If you can't tell what kind of snail or if it is reef safe...get rid of it IMO. I just lost a Squamosa Tridacna the other day as I have parasitic snails somewhat similar to the one you have only, they are black and the shell is alittle different but I know that the snail that killed my clam is not reef safe!

Last edited: Nov 22, 2006
  10. austinaquarist

austinaquarist Plankton

I ordered a bunch of coral and plants from foster & smith over a three day period of time and I think it came from that order. I did take the snail out and have it in a 29 gallon tank that I've been thinking of making into a macro algae/plant/copepod/ seahorse tank.

M lacom99; what a cool website on shells thanx for the link :)

11. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

12. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

This is a flamingo tongue. Gorgonia predator.
    http://www.westworld.com/~fabio/gallery/cayman-scuba-photo/cayman-flamingo-tongue.jpg

His is not a flamingo tongue.

I've never seen that snail before, they have the same shape as Pusiostoma mendicaria and Nassarius vibex. Look at the pattern on his foot or snout, that might give you an indication of what he is when researching him. I wouldn't think he is predatorial based on his shape. I also dont think it's a conch or cowrie.