Help idenfiy Diseases

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by Rawdogz, Jan 29, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Rawdogz

Rawdogz Torch Coral

hello everybody

i am trying to put a finger on what kind of disease my blue has. i have had him for about a month now. he has had this illness for about 2 week. i got a kole on Friday of last week and he was died with the same illness on wed.it does not look like ich to me, but i could be wrong any help is appreciated.

p.S
    sorry for the spelling error on the title

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Well sorry I can not see a thing in the images, but it's very easy for you to google "images of tangs with marine ich" and compare. Such as this image below.

[​IMG]

The parasite should present it's self as a dusting on the surface of the fish resembling grains of salt.

Since you're dealing with Tangs than chances are good it is marine ich.

You're other common parasite is Brookynella but that is more of a mucous coating.

4. Rawdogz

Rawdogz Torch Coral

hello Corailline :)

i am thinking it Brookynella at this point because both his eyes are cloudy, his skin/scales are more of a mucous coating then a grains coating

Corailline likes this.
  5. Corailline

Well that sucks. :(

At marine ich worst it can look like that.

Look at Velvet Disease as well. The link below is dated so research other sites to get more updated info, but it has some basic information.

http://chucksaddiction.com/disease.html

6. Rawdogz

Rawdogz Torch Coral

yea i was hoping it was ich lol, lesser of two evils i guess. now i have to try and catch him in a 160 gallon tank to QT him :(

that's the first link i looked at and came to the conclusion it may be Brookynella.

Corailline likes this.
  7. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

That sucks it's a purple tang. Does your fish have labored or rapid bresthing? Does he still eat food regularly? Judging by the photos if your answer is yes to those questions I'd leave him be and feed with a good supplement like selcon and extra servings of seaweed. Being that he's already sick you don't want to cause any stress unless absolutely necessary. Hope he makes it

Corailline likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. Rawdogz

Rawdogz Torch Coral

sorry i meant purple, blues don't come with the price tag he came with. he seems to be breathing normal and eating like a champ. but he just doesn't seem to be getting any better

10. Rawdogz

Rawdogz Torch Coral

and if i am correct brooklynella will not go away it has to be treated

11. Rawdogz

Rawdogz Torch Coral

here are some better pic

Attached Files:

12. Corailline

Looks like a bad case of marine ich to me not Brookynella.

Either way they are both parasites, neither goes away on it's own unfortunately.

Hope the fish pulls through, looks pretty bad. I would not add any new fish to the system until you decide on treatment options, or not to treat. I certainly would not be adding any Tangs in the near future.

DSC reef likes this.