Help! I think my clam is dying

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by aussiejodie, Jul 3, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

GFO is a filter media so to speak, granular ferric oxide. Used to lower phoshphate levels.

Sounds like pyramid snails. A couple snails no problem, but in the home aquarium they rarely have any natural enemies. The population grows and the damage to clam causes too much stress. If you look at night a few hours after the lights go out, there are usually many more.

Sorry about the clam.

You are going to have to figure how to proceed, because your other clams most likely have them as well.

2. Click Here!

3. aussiejodie

aussiejodie Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

He was fine before my starfish was on him! Here is a photo of my starfish who has been in my tank for 2 years and sometimes does smother the odd coral:confused: Not sure what type he is.

Attached Files:

4. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Quite likely with the stock lighting.

5. N3MATOCYST

N3MATOCYST Spaghetti Worm

are there any small holes at the base of the clam's shell? boring sponges can kill clams, besides what was listed above.

[​IMG]

ive lost a clam due to these sponges in the past. you can use formalin on the shell externally to kill them.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2011
  6. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Bumpy starfish are not good reef citizens.

7. aussiejodie

Thanks for your help. No change in the GFO for a few weeks. Phosphate levels are really low. Nitrate is about 10 because my nitrate filter stopped working and i had to start again with it:-[

8. Click Here!

9. Reef-a-holic

Reef-a-holic 3reef Sponsor

Agreed...spiny/knobby/bumpy type stars are generally not consider "reef safe".

10. aussiejodie

Thanks everyone. I guess i will just wait and keep an eye on him to see if he recovers. I am heading up to the Great Barrier Reef at the end of this week for a holiday so hope he decides to get better before i leave