Help, I need fake water!

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Patreezy, Jun 24, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

That's a great looking tank. I love the shape and the background.

2. Click Here!

3. Patreezy

Patreezy Astrea Snail

Regarding the other "beach theme" tank, what are the disadvantages of a fish only saltwater tank?

The water will be properly set-up and cycled, and the fish will have plenty of "hiding spots" with the decor in the tank. The only downside I can think of is the lack of plants to help maintain good water quality. Is it impossible to do a fish only saltwater tank and have good long-term results?

What will I need to especially watch out for? Special equipment?

...just trying to get an idea if the pay-off will be worth the effort. I know I should place reef and LR in there and all that jazz, but can't do that with the "theme" I'm going for. If it's not do-able then I'll find some cool lookin' fresh water fish..

4. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

There are no disadvantages at all actually and it's hardly impossible :) Just not as much to look at when you stare at the tank so if you're ok with that, go for it! You'll need less equipment and as long as you keep your fish load to an acceptable level, you won't need a huge amount of filtration like you do with a reef tank.

5. MDeth

MDeth Feather Star

6. OGW

OGW Astrea Snail

You can use these pics if you want to...I took them at Caspersen Beach, FL.
    [​IMG]

Boardwalk to Beach:
    [​IMG]

7. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

WOW! Great pics OGW!

8. Click Here!

9. Patreezy

Patreezy Astrea Snail

thanks for the replies. I found a photgrapher and he already took my perfect photo. LOL, there are people in it, but only off to one side. You won't even be able to tell, I'm anxious to finish the decor...

I was just worried saltwater fish wouldn't feel "at home" with no corals (since all the saltwater tanks I see have them..). I guess I just do things differently though, the fish I am getting were most likely bred for sale as pets so they won't be missing much. ;)

I'll have pics of the big 55gallon beach tank up soon, just finished the stand. I need to find a skimmer and start getting the water ready for the fish this week. The 55gallon came with a Topfin filter (it hangs over the edge and has two carbon filled filters in it). Do you think that filter is enough for a 55gal saltwater tank with approx. 5 or 6 fish in it? I don't know what the gph is, but probably not the best. It was one of those package deals, 55gallon tank, filter, light, hood, etc.

10. a1amap

a1amap Astrea Snail

Add a little blue food coloring and you would get a blue green color

11. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Not really but if you buy a canister filter (or install a sump), a good skimmer and enough live rock, you should have plenty of filtration.

12. Patreezy

Patreezy Astrea Snail

I'll have to play around with it. The acrylic water ("fake water") I found at the floral place won't work. It dries as a jelly substance and when dyed and placed underwater the dye spreads to the surrounding water. I need something that dries hard. I'll have to try the aquarium sealant, thanks!

I just hope the dye spreads evenly. The problem I had with the acrylic water is that the dye doesn't disperse like it would in water (evenly). When mixed it only breaks up the large dye dots into smaller and smaller dots, given enough mixing you get somewhat of a uniform color, but the acrylic water won't work for other reasons stated above...