Help, I need fake water!

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Patreezy, Jun 24, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Patreezy

Patreezy Astrea Snail

I'm moving houses and in the process of moving my 55 and 44gal tanks I've decided to change the decor inside as well. I put expensive empty alcohol bottles in the tanks (like 1 or 2) and call it "decor" .... haha

In the 55, I have an idea but am stumped on how to carry it out. I have enough new white rock to fill the bottom at the new place and a lot of "beach theme" items like palm trees and mini folding chairs (like you'd see on a real beach).

But what I want to do is create a shoreline. Have the rocks kind of slope down near one end of the tank, like a shelf, and have the "ocean" there...

I can't just use water since well, the whole damn thing is under water, hence the title.. I need a slab of fake water.. LOL Anyone have any ideas.

Some suggestions from others..

-Use blue rocks (I've thrown that out.. won't look good or capture the image in my head).
    -Get some kind of piece of plastic and paint it "ocean-like" and just place it ontop of the rocks....

I dunno. What do you all suggest.

Here's a quick image to try and convey what I'm going for...

[​IMG]

Thanks in advance...

2. Click Here!

3. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

A train Hobby store should have fake water. check to see that it's not toxic though. I'll see what I can find here in the internet...

Floral Illusions Silk Flowers Fake Water - Acrylic Water Kits since tanks come in acrylic this might work, you'll have to make some kind of mold to the shape you want or maybe even make it in the tank b4 you refill you it...might need to add some blue color? or just keep it clear?

Last edited: Jun 24, 2007
  4. Patreezy

Patreezy Astrea Snail

My thoughts exactly. Lucky for me, I live in a retirement town. There has to be at least one train hobby store.

If I DO have to end up using a piece of plastic cut to shape or something, what kind of paint should I use? (I'm afraid the sucker fish will suck the paint off or something..) That's why I'm sorta skeptical..

5. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

How about blue fish tank gravel :-/

6. cuttingras

Not sure if you saw this

7. Patreezy

Patreezy Astrea Snail

PERFECT! Thanks guys.

8. Click Here!

9. Patreezy

Patreezy Astrea Snail

Since we're on the subject..

I'm also gonna be looking for some kind of beach background image to put on the back of the tank. The pet stores locally have reef themed backgrounds and plain ole blue backgrounds...

Anyone know where to find custom (or at least a wider variety) of tank backgrounds?

10. cuttingras

11. ragc

ragc Bristle Worm

Pick your favorite beach and have a digital photo blown up to mural size. It might be cool if you put yourself in the photo. Then laminate it (they sell the material at office supply places).

As an old model railroader I suggest a piece of dark blue colored glass or acrylic. The liquid 'water' mixes for model railroad were mostly white glue if I remember correctly (things may have changed). Of course, you could use clear aquarium sealant, and sculpt waves with a small trowel as it sets....

12. Patreezy

Patreezy Astrea Snail

Yea, I'm finding out that there isn't a beach fish tank background anywhere.

Looks like I'm going to have to take two digital photos and stitch them together after enlarged to make an 18" high by 48" long banner/photo.

The beachline must be oriented just right to all look like one image when you're relaxing and taking in the view..

Thanks for the advice. This is going to be fun!