help i am missing fish

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by RGA107, Aug 27, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. RGA107

RGA107 Astrea Snail

my fish seem to be disapearing into thin air i have lost 1 sailfin tang 1 blue damsel and 2 geern chromis they seem to be disapearing at about 1 fish a day all my only fish that is left is my little lawn mower blenny and he is going to the lfs for safe keeping temporarily till i can locate the problem and sacrifice it to the porcelain goddess with 2 flushes for good measure
    my ? is what might be doing this and how can i find it

water pram are as follows
    ph 8.1
    dk 12
    cal 320
    nitrite close to 0
    amon close to 0
    nitrate 5

2. Click Here!

3. ivydog

ivydog Feather Duster

maybe a mantis but he would have to be a big one for all those fish

4. RGA107

RGA107 Astrea Snail

this was over the peroid of about 4-5 days and i did put a new peice of live rock in about 7# worth on sunday just b4 disaperances started

5. mattheuw1

mattheuw1 Montipora Capricornis

I would be looking for some sort of invert. I couldn't see this being a fish that is secretley living/killing in your tank. So your not recovering any bodies or pieces of body? See any scales floating?

6. pgoodsell

pgoodsell Horrid Stonefish

I would say lobster or crab hitch hiker. But its hard to say, your going to have to watch the tank closely. Try at night with lights out, then use a flashlight and see whats creeping around.

7. RGA107

RGA107 Astrea Snail

correct nothin not a scale or fin
    when i watch at night should i leave moon leds on or off
    they are kinda brright would not need flash light with them on

8. Click Here!

9. Triplemom

Triplemom Pajama Cardinal

You might try "night spying" with a red flashlight, with all other lights in the area off. I use a white LED light that has a red cover.

10. RGA107

RGA107 Astrea Snail

a friend of mine sujested doing a fw dip on the new live rock peice and see what popes out but it is a very nice peice with many benaficial hitchers and lots of realy nice deep burgany collered corline would a dip kill the coraline

i have a red light from when i was in the army will try that tonight with moons off how long should i wait once lights are out and should i try baiting it with a peice of shrimp to fish in my alga clip

Last edited: Aug 27, 2009
  11. salsalito25

salsalito25 Stylophora

Leave your moon lights on... and look around with a flash lite and see what you can find.. and even drop a few flakes of food in the tank so it will entice your preditor if any out...

Best of Luck...

12. iLLwiLL

iLLwiLL Sailfin Tang

maybe your new rock is a huge angler in disguise thats straight gulping down whatever it can at night. thats crazy your loosing so many fish without a trace, at this point I would consider breaking down the tank and dipping all the rock to find the culprit.

how big is the tank anyways, and how much rock is in there?

~Will.