HELP..Hermits and snails dead

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by Strickland_673, Dec 8, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Strickland_673

Strickland_673 Fire Shrimp

the first ones(turbo snails/conches) i floated but not long enough for like 30minutes, but they're still living, except the conches. but usually i'll use a drip method, in a bucket and use a slow drip for like 1 1/2 hours to 2 hours?!?!

2. Click Here!

3. Strickland_673

this is what the "TUBEY" snails are Super Tongan Nassarius Snail

4. 10acrewoods

10acrewoods Fire Goby

well the red hair stuff is probably cyano bacteria and that might be a problem for your snails. If you can't get your phosphates down you might phosphate reactor or use phosban. Keep using r/o and do some water changes, this will help alittle. As far as the snail situation. I always have snail die off when I buy snails. The cyano might also be choking off your good algaes and your snails have no food cause of this. have any pics of tank

5. Strickland_673

6. 10acrewoods

10acrewoods Fire Goby

Do you ever feed your narssarius snails.

7. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

Hello strick, Everyone means well and the things they asked for should have been, however, I have the same (for lack of a better word) phenomenon. I have put 12-24 Blue legs in my 55 gal. and within weeks 1/2 would die off. The ones that have lived (12 maybe) are doing great and have been in there quite a while. I have a grounding probe and all parameters are as perfect as a test can show. Here is the bizarre twist, the exact same thing has happened in my 14 gal. Biocube. I recently had my LFS buddy over for a Coral consultation and told him and he was totally puzzled. I saw your post and it grabbed my attention because of my situation. Will be curious to see what others say but I think this one may fall into that black hole of "no answer".

8. Click Here!

9. Strickland_673

here let me know what you think. you can see the red algea on the back glass.

Attached Files:

10. Strickland_673

woods: I do, i feed the Omeg 1 shrimp pellets, and sometimes fresh shrimp.

jed: REALLY? wow someone out there with the same problem. weird eh? really weird!! do you have red algea problems?

11. Strickland_673

I got most of my rock from a lfs, that was closing for renovations!!! well aged desplay tank rock for........... $3.20 / LB !!!!!!!!!! like holy crap right!!!

12. 10acrewoods

10acrewoods Fire Goby

that is not red hair That is coraline algae. that is good algae to have. you are probably just experiencing die off of snails and crabs. I think snails don't ship to well cause lots of lfs buy in a big bulk. I once noticed my lfs brining in snails and they were 50 packed in one bag, same with crabs. I think your tank looks great.