Help help help!

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases' started by charbel101, Jan 15, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. charbel101

charbel101 Astrea Snail

I got 1 firefish in my 20 gallon tank and he was hiding for 2 days but now he did come out for food he ate normal and i was looking at him at his skin and all his skin is covered with this i don't know if it's just his skin design or an ich im really really worried i only have in the tank 2 ocellaris clownfish how much should i be worried im freaking out :/ this is covering all his body but i didn't see it that easy i was looking so close to it :/

[​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

4. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

5. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

ich can be lethal but if it comes to that it means there is a bigger problem with your water chemistry and or the diet you feed your fish.

otherwise, and this is coming from someone who has ich in his system it is little to no concern in my opinion. clearly it would be better not to have it but if you do its nothing to really freak out about.

as long as the fish is provided with its basic requirements, i.e. living space, quality food and a stress free environment, its immune system should and will be able to fight off the parasite itself.

a lot of people suggest feeding or soaking the food one gives to his fish in garlic, personally i do this as well. garlics natural antiseptic properties seem to benefit fish as well.

its "normal" to see ich appear on newly added fish as being introduced to a new environment is source of stress.

so yeah I would not worry to much as long as the fishes requirements are met.

should you wish to remove ich from your system there are several ways of doing so, the least labour intensive and stressful IMO would be to run your tank fish less for 8 weeks. this will insure the interruption of the parasites life cycle, more specifically you are removing the hosts that will allow the parasites cyst to anchor itself to before hatching into the water column.

6. mikekx65

mikekx65 Skunk Shrimp

Do lots of reading before you decide on what you are going to do. It you have access to a hospital/quarantine tank I suggest removing all the fish and treating them with copper while leaving your DT fallow for at least 8 weeks. Once you remove the parasite from your system you need to quarantine all your fish before they enter your system. Many people have dealt with marine ich and there's a lot of good advice you will get from people on here. I know the only way I beat ich was because of the people on this forum. Some people will tell you to feed garlic and not do anything else but if you decide to do that just remember that any fish you add to your system that is weak or stressed have a very high chance of getting ich some fish are more susceptible than others. It you have any questions feel free to pm me and I'll help out as much as I can. Good luck

7. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

+1Most hobbyists have a hard enough time keeping one tank going. Just keep in mind that using temporary tanks can be just as dangerous as the disease or parasite we are trying to eradicate as it adds stress to the animal at a critical time. Used properly qt's can be great tools if you have the time,space, and money, to do it properly.I always stock low and keep to species that are well known and hardy.Works everytime!!!;)

Last edited: Jan 16, 2014