Help getting my Radions set right

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by siidman, Aug 12, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. siidman

siidman Bristle Worm

I have a 180g mixed reef set up with 3 Radion Gen 2's. It's been running 7 months now and I'm still having issues getting the lights correct. Currently the coral that are doing well are a few leathers, some ricordia shrooms, wesophylia, a rose anenome, a few few acans. I've had torch corals that do fine for a few hrs then fully retract and eventually die. I have one now that's been doing ok. And had some sps that do fine til I move them up in the tank after some time acclimating and they end up bleacing and dying. Now before we get to asking about the lights I know most people are wondering about my water parameters. They're perfect and have been consistent for 5 months now.
    ammonia-0
    nitrite-0
    nitrates-o
    ca-360
    alk-9
    everything else is where it should be as well. And I've routinely checked the water myself and have had it checked at the reef shop just to make sure and it's all good.
    So this brings me to the lights. I've obviously been having a hard time with what to have these set on. Ive always used the given templates and after issues with coral I've tweaked them a bit. I've also had the local reef guy come over and mess with them too and I still bleached a small pink birdsnest frag. Right now they are on from 10-7 on the radiant color template. The intensity was at 100% with the white at 50 at 4 then 60 at 5 then back down to 50 at 6 pm an then it would ramp down. I then noticed my elegance coral, which was doing fine for about 2 weeks starting to retract a bit more than it had so I've recently kept the colors where they were but dropped the intensity to 80% on all of the tihe thing that makes me so confused is that my lfs has a 220 thats only 18 inches tall compared to my 24 and they have gen pros over it using the growth template which is all colors set at 100% and 100% intensity. It's an sps tank and the coral are all doing great so I just dont get it.
    I could elaborate more but I've already written a novel.