Help!! Frogspawn doesn't seem right.

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Florida boy, Mar 29, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Florida boy

Florida boy Plankton

Hey guys, I'm new to this forum but a long time lurker and need some help. I bought a frogspawn from the lfs bout two weeks ago, I shortly notice that there was some problems with the fragging process causing the skeleton to show. After about a day or two it came up with this brownish slime. It receded slowly only to back in the past two days, which worries me. As well as my purple gorgonian has started to show its skeleton as well as attractinng the brown slime to its tip. I've been lurking for some time and found out it could be brown slime? I heard iodine dips would help but I also read countless accounts of it doing nothing..... Also, if it is actually brown slime then why has it lived for so long. My water params are 8.4dKH, 1120 mag, 400 cal. I know my mag is a little low but I've only just started to dose for it. Please help!!

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. DevinH

DevinH Montipora Capricornis

Coral Diseases - Reef Aquarium

See: Brown jelly disease.

Could possibly be your problem, however I know corals sometimes expell excess zooxanthellae

4. sailorguy

sailorguy Torch Coral

I don't really see brown slime in your images,just looks closed.What lighting is it under?

5. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

glad you said that sailorguy. I don't see it either. I would try moving it up a little bit, it looks to be on the sand bed and maybe needs some more light to open up.....

6. Florida boy

Florida boy Plankton

I've already checked out the website and the link it tells me to go to but I'm just not sure if that is what it is. I tried to brush it off with a soft-bristle toothbrush and it came of with ease but it wraps into the inside where the zooxanthelle are. I run a quad T5 system: 2 day 10000k and 2 22000k coral light super blues. I have a 20 gal high with 10 gal sump with a reef octopus bh-50. How can't you see the stony part of the frogspawn has a brownish/purplish coat over it? The gorgonian has it at the base of the skeleton that is at one of the tips.

7. lillys Grandad

lillys Grandad Horrid Stonefish

As for the frogspawn...it does not look un healthy at all..imo...scrubbing , touching or otherwise disturbing it..well, it does what I see..and worse...but you say 4xt5 in a 40 gallon?..lot'o light there...jmo...hows the flow on that bugger?
    edit..
    I also run a bit higher on the mag/cal/alk

8. Click Here!

9. Florida boy

Florida boy Plankton

They are 24 watt light bulbs and I still have the stock acintics that came with the fixture. The fixture is only a few weeks new.

I run a koralia 450 and 550. I have an additional 450 not being used cause I upgraded.

It just seems weird how the slime came a only a few days after the frogspawn was introduced and then moved to the gorgonian tip a few days later.

10. lillys Grandad

..I do not believe that the "slime" was introduced by the frogspawn...is it not changed..? when you say slime..that is specific..but brown algae is another thing all together, too much food..too much light..maybe not ...whats it look like now? change?

11. Florida boy

Florida boy Plankton

It does have a slimy feel/appearance to it. Also in the first picture, that different colored section of the cut from the mother colony was completly eroded out and had shelf like skeleton. So I'm guessing it has had a few issues already.

After softly brushing the frogspawn, it looked normal besides the few spots that I didn't want to put heavy pressure on such as inside the coral. I also preformed an iodine dip just for the hell of it.

Right now I have each light on a 10 hr cycle with the daylights starting 2 hrs early and ending 2 hrs early.

12. lillys Grandad

Keep an eye on it..is it responding to heavy or mild flow?