Unresolved Help feeding puffer

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by mm2002, Jul 4, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mm2002

mm2002 Feather Duster

This may not be a serious emergency, but to me it's becoming one and I'd appreciate any help. Having kept only reef tanks for the past few years, I haven't had any fish only tanks since the 90's. A couple of months ago I set up a FOWLR tank, and about four weeks ago I added a small (3") Porcupine Puffer and a Niger Trigger about the same size. I've kept several of these in the past and they are some of my favorite fish. They have always tamed quickly and ate like hogs. Well, the Trigger got over the initial "shyness" and is eating everything in sight, but the Porcupine won't eat anything. He just swims up and down the walls of the tank and totally ignores any food. I've tried frozen shrimp and clams, but neither interest him in the least. I decided maybe he was one that wanted live food, so I tried some very small feeder fish. The trigger ate them all and even though some swam right in front of his face, the puffer wasn't even interested. I don't remember this ever being a problem with Porcupines! Usually within a week or two they were eating out of my hand. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

2. Click Here!

3. lillys Grandad

lillys Grandad Horrid Stonefish

4. nc208082

nc208082 Zoanthid

I had the same problem with my old porcupine, wouldn't eat anything til I finally had some success with freeze dried krill, but only the tetra brand, I tried everything for months it was the only thing he would ever eat. I tried frozen krill and others he wouldn't touch it, only freeze dried tetra brand.

Also was told if they came right from the ocean then you'd have a harder time.

Good luck with this mystery scooby.

5. Moby Duck

Moby Duck Purple Spiny Lobster

Try snails, puffers love snails and they love to hunt them

6. affordable Aqua

affordable Aqua 3reef Sponsor

Get some snails and put them in there, the puffer will go for them when he gets hungry enough. Also, I have had good luck with shrimp from the store. Just pick up 2 or 3 from the fish counter and throw a chunks into the tank. Remember that puffers have continuously growing teeth and they will need hard shelled food to wear the teeth down. Thats why snails & clams are a good food for them

7. mm2002

mm2002 Feather Duster

Thanks a bunch for all the ideas. I've tried the shrimp. but not the freeze dried krill, or snails.

8. Click Here!

9. mm2002

mm2002 Feather Duster

Update- I couldn't find the Tetra brand freeze dried Krill, but I did find some other brand, and added some small snails. As soon as I dropped a couple of the Krill in there he went crazy and started pigging out on them! It was so awesome to see him (her?) eat. Thanks so much for all your help. I feel so much better now. As usual, you guys are awesome! Consider this problem resolved!