Help! Failed Rodi shutoff

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Murball7, Dec 11, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Murball7

Murball7 Bristle Worm

Wife called this morning said the rodi top off has flooded my tank. Had her check SG it was 1.019. Had some extra premixed water but only raised it 1.022. She said fish are still all swimming and no bleaced corals yet. I'm working out of town and on my way home tonight. Trying to get a plan of attack and advice. My wife had to leave for work so that's all she could do. It hasnt been 24 hours yet with the lowered SG. Can I raise the SG back to 1.024 all at once? And what kind of loss will I be looking at hypothetically? Will update and keep your fingers crossed for me.

2. Click Here!

3. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

Be patient and make the change slowly.

4. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Yep, supposedly the drop quicker is tolerated better than raising back up.

Why would your ATO get stuck? - let me guess- store bought model?- maybe not

I hope there was no or little water damage.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2015
  5. SH4GGY

SH4GGY Plankton

What kind of ATO do you use?

6. Murball7

Murball7 Bristle Worm

OK so I'm home got saltwater ready to drip in and surprisingly everything looks decent. The anenome looks agitated but that can be expected. The sps has no polyp extension but still is holding it's color and I don't see any signs of RTN but I will be keeping a close eye on it. The problem wasn't the ATO at all. I have a splitter on the cold water line of the washing machine which is hooked to the RO filter. After running water I must not have turned it all the way off and a slow drip was dripping into the sump. I feel like such a dummy and thankfully my wife was able to see the dripping line this afternoon and moved it to the utility sink.

7. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

good to hear that everything seems ok. Your wife sure helped save the day! I wouldn't think it should have a serious impact over time. I've always read what was said above in that going down faster in SG is different when going up - need to go slowly