HELP External pump leak

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by fishnoob101, Dec 29, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. fishnoob101

fishnoob101 Astrea Snail

Hi I have an external Dolphin pump that I found was leaking it turns out that the Seal inside the wet part of the pump for the impeller shaft gave out.
    I got the pump used and when I took this apart the impeller housing the seal fell out it looks to have had some sort of clear rubber band that holds the metal spring loaded seal into the housing that wore out.

Also who ever put this thing together must have over tightened the impeller onto the shaft as its cracked down both sides this is on the non wet side of the impeller where it screws on but wondered as the way it looks to make a seal that these cracks wouldn't hamper its ability to seal

So I got a new seal for this thing found one locally in Boise ID at a place called twin Dolphins its a Pool and Spa parts place.

They look Identical and do not see a difference in material use.
    it did not come with the clear rubber band replacement.

So before I do something stupid in the next few moments I wanted 3 questions answered prior to doing this

1. should I worry about using a Seal from a Pool and spa place?

2. These cracks going down the outside screw on part of the impeller where it mates up to the motor shaft outside the wet area of the housing should I worry about the impeller wobbling inside as the cracks do not go all the way down to the nut that cast inside the impeller?
    can I throw a hose clamp on it after I reassemble it or would this throw the balance of the motor a bit?

3. As i am unable to replace this clear rubber band seal that holds the new main seal in place is there an issue with using silicone to make my own?

Any help before I cause any oopsy, would be great and thank you for any help. :)

2. Click Here!

3. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

I would not worry about the bearing you got from the Pool and spa place it should work well.
    If the cracks will cause the impeller to wobble it will wear out the impeller housing and kill your pump.

I think at this point you can't loose by making your own silicone seal. The alternative is a new pump so you can't really loose

4. Macksmith

Macksmith Plankton

My cracked pool turned out to be a split pipe...But not the one I thought it should have been. The builder had used a flexible pipe that dipped down lower than expected, and the leak was at the bottom of the curve.Then i contact Pool leak detection service and they resolve my problem.

5. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Welcome to 3 Reef. Old thread.......