HELP Dosing Pump Didn't Stop Dosing

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by andywyeth07, Apr 27, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. andywyeth07

andywyeth07 Bristle Worm

I came in from mulching our flower beds and noticed our water was a little cloudy. Didn't think anything of it and went up stairs to get ready. Came back down and the water was really cloudy. I have a timer set to dose alk from 12-1 so my best guess is it's been running for almost 5 hours now. It doses 1.1ml per minute. So i'm guessing almost 11 oz just went into the tank.

It tested the water with a hana checker and it's reading 177 or 9.9. I typically keep it around 131 or 7.336.

What should I do to correct this? I don't have any saltwater made up right now, just plain RODI water?

Am I going to lose a lot of stuff? :-/

Thanks for the help!

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Leave it. Trying to change it will do more harm than good. 176 isn't too high anyways. I've had min up close to 220 just last week. I typically keep mine around that level (176). The cloudiness is likely from the calcium and carbonate precipitating out. That should dissipate in time and will also likley bring your levels down in the process.

130 is too low, imo.

4. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

130 is fine.Its consistency that counts.I agree about just leaving it though but be preapared to clean all pumps.The calcium will stick to them and the sand.Be sure to run your fingers lightly through it to prevent clumping.After the tank clears of course.;)

5. andywyeth07

andywyeth07 Bristle Worm

Hooking the do dosers up was for consistency but I guess I'll have to look into other timers to avoid this again.

6. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

You might lose something, but there isn't much you can do about it. In my opinion, I would keep it at 176. I think you will find better results.

Most publications will say to keep it between 140-200. 176 is the middle ground, which keeps you away from the exrenes and allow for testing errors.

7. andywyeth07

andywyeth07 Bristle Worm

I've been trying to get it up slowly since i've set up the automatic dosing. I guess now, it's up and I can maintain it... :p

8. Click Here!

9. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Make sure it's still up that high after the precipitation. If you're having trouble keeping it it elevated, test your magnesium and let us know the results.

1 person likes this.
  10. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Most softies and lps will thrive at lower Alk. levels ime. but its good to keep a safe margin when you can.;)

11. andywyeth07

andywyeth07 Bristle Worm

I ran out of alk solution to test so I had to order more. It should be here tonight.

I turned on the doser last night and ran it for about 10 minutes and it was getting cloudy again. Not sure why all of a sudden it's getting cloudy when dosing. The first two weeks of automatic dosing, I didn't have any troubles. Any ideas?

12. chris adams

chris adams Purple Tang

what is your kh, mag, calcium levels?

I do not dose but mine has been cloudy for a week and yesterday noticed my Mag was at 1245 which is low and I am attributing the cloudiness to balance being off. I could be wrong but do not think so.

My KH is 10
    cal 460
    mag 1245 (started dosing yesterday and will dose 25mg per day until level is 1350 and then need to calculate my usage).

Since you had a pump failure and dumped all that alk in your tank your balance is probably off and likely the cause.