Help - Clownfish is dying - MORE PICS TODAY 4/9/12

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by jaymostella, Apr 7, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jaymostella

jaymostella Skunk Shrimp

I am at whits end.. Now my clownfish is dying..............

History - 2 weeks fighting ich and maybe something else and have lost 4 fish with the 5th very sick

oanother fish, a yellow tang, in tank is showing ich but seems to be handling it fine..

The clownfish we noticed last night swimming different and more agressive overall.. It had lots of white spots that almost looks like air bubbles on it.. It was still eating. We woke this morning and he seems to be struggling and not eating.. I have pulled him from the DT and made a quick quarantine tank... He wasnt hard to catch at all... He is now in the QT on his side and breathing fast... In the DT he stayed head up in the corner but wasnt aware of surroundings (thats this morning, last night swimming all over)

I have been treating the yellow tang for ich in DT for 8 days with Herbtana and although spots still present they are noticably better but there. He is doing fine with great appetite and behaviour. He was harrassing the neon goby for cleaning a few days ago but now has even stopped that.. I read tons and tons of posts/help/advice and seem to never get anywhere...........

I am about to pull my freaking hair out!

Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  2. Click Here!

3. jaymostella

jaymostella Skunk Shrimp

forgot to add.. Unlike the yellow tang, the clown has some light brown sores(???) that are now present like the others that have died... The yellow tang doesnt show any of the light brown areas

4. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

sorry about all your fish loss,
    if you don't have a uv sterilizer on your system i would add one.
    when i had a dealing with ich i used the fresh water dip method, but i did this to the fish when it was still breathing fine.
    also get some microbactor7 add it with water changes till the tank is been running a while. also add after adding a new fish or rock, or rearranging rock

5. ao72689

ao72689 Feather Duster

could be brooklynella with the clown fish. i lose one to brook. agree with freshwater dips. if hes not eating try feeding some garlic fish food to get him to eat. good luck!

6. jaymostella

jaymostella Skunk Shrimp

I have read until my eyes are crossed and it seems for ervery suggestion of doing something there is another opinion for just the opposite... With that said I was on the edge of buying a UV sterilizer then was told they were bad for a coral tank..

I understand different things work for different people, but honestly, I am frustrated and am sooo confused that i am have no idea which way to turn..

I very much appreciate all the advice and listen to all of it closely......... Just really want to fix whatever issue is going on and not sure how...

7. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

i have had a uv on this tank since the beginning. IMO they do not effect corals that i can see, but they do help to kill parasites that are free swimming in the water and bacteria in the water that can cause problems, not to mention algae.
    better water quality means healthy fish. uv's are one of those things all don't believe in. but i do.

your not running bio pellets are you?

8. Click Here!

9. jaymostella

jaymostella Skunk Shrimp

No bio pellets... Thanks for the info on the UV

10. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

i believe water quality is the key to getting threw ich. its sounding like the ich is in the clowns gills. you could try the dip, but i worry it may be to late.

if you do dip him float the container he is in... in the tanks water. i believe it makes them more at ease to see their home. i have dipped a clown and it worked for me.

11. nc208082

nc208082 Zoanthid

my opinion, i would not do a dip with the clown in that state, if its on its side breathing fast and looking uneasy in the qt tank, a dip might stress him too much. The brown sores could most likely be from it rubbing on rocks, just throw a piece of pvc pipe or something for the clown to have some hiding area, and i would do a copper treatment if you have him in there and soak foods in garlic and selcon and hope for the best.

Also if it is brookynella, i don't think a freshwater dip[ will do too much. When i had brookynella from my research, the best medicine to use as a dip was a formalin dip, i ended up using a multi parasytic medicine, and it worked well for me.

Best of luck, Also if that many fish have been lost, and this is number five you have a serious problem going on.

hHat size tank is this, stocking level, amount of rock, how much flow do you have? any dead spots? i.e. areas that get little to no flow.

12. jaymostella

jaymostella Skunk Shrimp

Its still alive and I have administered metronidazole to the QT... He actually looks slightly better but still remains slightly sideways at the bottom of the tank.. It does appear its breathing is better.. Far fromlooking ok but not dead either so fingers tightly crossed....