Help choosing lighting for my 55 gallon

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by Reefaholic727, Nov 3, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

That's like apples & oranges the ATI 6-bulb can outperform a Catalina 8-bulb any day in terms of PAR, reflectors, ballasts, & bulb efficiency. I don't want to derail the thread. The op wanted to know what fixture would allow him to keep any corals in a 55g. A reasonable price is variable but I stand by my suggestion if he can afford it.

2. Click Here!

3. Nor_Cal_Guy

Nor_Cal_Guy Gigas Clam

I disagree, but I digress; if money isn't a factor, might as well go with the Audi rather then the VW.

4. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

Everyones alloted their own opinions but my post is based on the facts & findings of tests done on the ATI's & their output, etc.. You're gonna waste a lot of light with an 8-bulb with overhang, standard 55g width is 12", even a 6-bulb may have some overhang but anyway.

Quality brands priced more affordably: TEK standard or Elite, AquaticLife, Aquactinics, IceCap.

I personally run an Aquactinics TX5 over my 55g reef, it's a 5-bulb fixture that only takes up 10" of space. I keep lots of LPS, Softies, Maxima Clams (on the sandbed), & SPS does well higher up.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2010
  5. Nor_Cal_Guy

Nor_Cal_Guy Gigas Clam

Dimensions: 48" x 12 1/2" x 2 5/8" for the 8 bulb.

6 bulb didn't hang over on my 55g back when I had it.

I had many SPS with my Catalina 6 bulb.

6. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

Got it, that's a lot of bulbs crammed in a really small space, how are the reflectors?

7. Nor_Cal_Guy

Nor_Cal_Guy Gigas Clam

Catalina Aquarium 48" Black Solar T5 HO - 8 x 54 watt light fixture with dimmable Moonlights uses our heat sync design which incorporates a perforated sleek black metal center spine running the length of the fixture to maximize the best heat distribution you can get. Heat now rises up and out rather than down and out off the bulbs and into your tank. Uses less electricity and has lower heat output than metal halide lighting.

Has two independent light switches for the T5s. One switch turns on two bulbs, and the other turns on six bulbs. There are 3 cords on this hood, two for the T5s and one for the dimmable moonlights.

Comes with eight 54 watt HO bulbs: four 10000K and four Blue Actinic.

Hood includes six inch legs which allow you to raise the hood from the top of your tank for increased air circulation.

Each T5 has its own individual German polished aluminum reflector that TRIPLES the light output into your aquarium from each bulb!

This light fixture features the HIGHEST QUALITY ADVANCE BALLAST. These ballast are excellent for the T5's lightbulbs.

He will change the bulb spectrums before shipping if you request it.

8. Click Here!

9. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

4 lamp T5 fixture would be OK for majority of the things on your list but location in terms of light is key as mentioned previously
    6 lamp T5 fixture means as far as lighting is concerned your fine with all the things on your list

either case - go for quality brand lamps like ATI or Geisseman
    its worth the extra cost IMHO for quality lamps as they have been proven by many people on this site and others

Mojoe and Nor Cal Guy

good debate and handled like gentlemen! which doesnt surprise me as your both decent people IME.

Steve

1 person likes this.
  10. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

Hehe I'm in debate mode but yeah it's def better to debate and learn from each others arguments than to go at it like cavemen, I'm just an ATI fanboy and one day I'll get my hands on that Powermodule!

Nor Cal I declare a truce thx for the info on the Catalina

1 person likes this.
  11. Nor_Cal_Guy

Nor_Cal_Guy Gigas Clam

My pleasure gentleman. Truce for sure.

Keep us posted on what happens in this 55.

1 person likes this.
  12. Reefaholic727

Reefaholic727 Flamingo Tongue

Thanks everyone for the advice i dodnt realize i would have a heated debate over the question lol but thanks to everyone and i will look into every fixture mentioned. and reasonable price im hoping less than 400 maybe aroung 300 range college student so im broke lol
    thanks again to everyone