Help choose my overflow design

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by FatBastad, Oct 18, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. FatBastad

FatBastad Zoanthid

Sooo, I’m looking for input on what type of overflow to use that will be IDEAL. I'll try to keep this short!

For the last month I’ve been going over the pros and cons of possible drilled overflow options to add on a sump to my running 29 gal.

I’m NOT satisfied with the performance of the hang on filter I’m running. I create custom pads and replace them constantly but it’s just not enough for me now and later down the road. I’ve weighed the options and, going with a sump now is still the best solution, as always. (Going with one from the beginning would have been the BEST solution, but I specifically planed against it for a many reasons - I digress)

I’ll skip reiterating the litany of advantages we all know sumps give…

The standard 10 gallon leader tank is the only one which will fit inside my stand. I plan to still use my AquaC Remora, then a 4” sock\holder and a TLF 150 reactor coming shortly. I also have a new custom HOB refugium which (I haven’t got around to hooking up yet) I could hang onto the display or fuge.

These are my considerations right now.

a. Gla$$holes 700 gph kit. The simplest solution. I know many, many folks have and are using these.
    I WANT TO HEAR FROM YOU! This is the easiest and cost effective option. I’d really like to go this route but

Cons: I’m really, really uncomfortable with the idea of ONLY ONE drain line! Zero redundancy, just hope!
    I’d be a bit more reassured if I heard more long term 100% success stories and possible knew what the inside of their patent box looked like being a mechanical oriented guy…

b. Herbie \ Coast to Coast. Next simplest. 2 piece glass internal overflow with two drains. Main drain will have gate valve tuned silent. Backup drain will have upturned elbow and be a gateless full siphon. Full layer of redundancy.

Cons: More $. With the size of a cost-to-cost overflow I begin to worry of flooding my 10 gal sump when the pump goes off. (Assuming check valve fails – it wouldn’t be THAT much water, not the end of the world but still!)

c. Full on BeanAnimal Coast to Coast. The bestest most baller o.f. system to date! Only time will tell if will it can be topped. I won’t list the pros.

Cons: Overkill for draining what is realistic of a return pump on a 29 gal, pricey for my scenario, routing 3 drains into a 10 gal sump and again possible too much returned into sump due to back siphon worst case scenario.

Pumps
    I’m considering are:
    Eheim Compact 2000 or Mag-Drive 5.
    Or is a Mag 7 with a tee to run a reactor the way to go?

Return
    ½” or ¾” return?
    I’m thinking one ½” will be plenty for a 29 gal, thoughts?

Fire away your thoughts, experiences and opinions.

Thank you,

FB

2. Click Here!

3. Toallhisdoom

Toallhisdoom Dragon Wrasse

i vote glass-holes 700gph and returns, did i also mention i have loc-line with nozzle and the connecter that screws into the return bulkheads i have as well? What a steal!

4. FatBastad

FatBastad Zoanthid

It's a great possibility sir, we'll see!

5. rc_mcwaters3

rc_mcwaters3 Clown Trigger

I agree with doom on this, not to push you into buying his stuff lol

it is teh simplest and definatly wont overload you sump, oh and the mag 7 is what you want with this set up. I ran a 3/4 to 1 inch connector from my return pump back down to a 3/4 lock line t and split it so I hade more turn over across the top of the water and it works great and lets the pump run alot cooler than pusing through the 3/4 inch.

HTH

6. Toallhisdoom

Toallhisdoom Dragon Wrasse

yea what i have is 2 3/4" thread x thread bulkheads with the right size hole saw, and 2 pieces f 3/4 loc line with a nosel on each, and a y-splitter, and then the loc line-3/4 male to connect it to the bulk head. So you can just use 1 of the bulkheads and you wont need to buy any pieces! wabamm problem solved, also have a maxi-jet 1800 pump that would do nicely depending on your head height. lol

7. FatBastad

FatBastad Zoanthid

Thanks.
    So you didn't just run 3/4" all the way up and t it at the top?

8. Click Here!

9. FatBastad

FatBastad Zoanthid

10. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

So if you want, you can do a hybrid. Two equal size drains with a Herbie. Or just the main and open drain of a Bean. But with a coast to coast, they both need to be down turned elbows to be able to siphon if need be.

If I was doing full custom, I would make an external overflow box. Drill holes to allow the tank to overflow. You could still do a coast to coast. and then have two equal size drains like a Herbie but allow the secondary to overflow and you would never have to adjust it. Some Herbie owners do this anyway. You don't need to do that thought, you can still just go down turned like a Bean.

Having said all that.. sorry it is so much.. it is a bit of work to do on a running tank. I would probably just do the Glass box overflow as much as I do not like overflow boxes. You can always do a custom in the future. If you had a reef ready tank I would not hesitate to do a Herbie, best mod I ever did, but with what you have, it's going to be hard....

...oor... in case you need a reason to go bigger, work on that custom 90g and and it will be sweet. :)

Last edited: Oct 19, 2012
  11. FatBastad

FatBastad Zoanthid

Noted.
    Thanks for your input Powerman.

12. FatBastad

FatBastad Zoanthid

...I'm leaning towards a BeAnAnimal style, whenever I can get around to doing this.

Just trying to figure out what size bulkheads to use, I'm thinking 3/4" may be enough for the 29gal...