HELP another dead tang!!!

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by reefer3, Feb 22, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Arcain41

Arcain41 Coral Banded Shrimp

A grounding probe is put in the tank to remove any risidual electricity from pumps, lights, etc. You run a probe from the tank, it has a grounding wire to expel any electric current that could be transfered to the water. This current could have been your initial problem. Im afraid now, it is the least of your worries. What else do you have in the tank?

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. reefer3

reefer3 Astrea Snail

nothing now, what a mess........I had this tank in my basement with the pro clear 150 under the tank, plumbed to a chiller and never had to touch a thing.....could go for weeks at a time and always had the same 6 fish in it. I decided to move the tank upstairs to my living room and have the sump, pump, chiller, etc in the basement. My living room does get a lot of natural light, but everything was fine for the first month and a half, then everything started to die, I just assumed it was due to the natural light in the room, so let the tank go, well 6 months later and the addition of a substrate reactor here i am, struggling.

4. Arcain41

Arcain41 Coral Banded Shrimp

Im confused. You moved the tank upstairs and left the sump, pump,& chiller in the basement? That doesnt make any sense:confused:

5. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Could be that he went through the trouble of drilling holes in the floor like we did in order to keep the sump and other equipment out of site.

Now, that being said, if your sump is still in the basement and still attached to your main tank, is that sump anywhere near your boiler? Could CO2 be what's causing your problems?

And I always run an airstone in my tanks.

6. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

O.k. get those other test kits and yes, even with the medication in the tank, leave it alone for 3 weeks and add live bacteria at double the marine dose followed 3 days later by a regular dose. You must get the biological filtration back to optimum levels. It is possible something got into the sump. If you could post pics of the basement set up and of the display tank I think it would be helpful.

1 person likes this.
  7. Fusion

Fusion 3reef Sponsor

i would need more information to make a stab at this. how much live rock did you hose off? Was it legitimate live rock or base rock that has been in a tank for a couple months? how long did you hose it off (time exposed to fresh water)? and what other livestock do you have in your tank? give me a list. If only one fish was affected by this then you most likely didnt have a bacteria crash.

regarding your algae problem - how much algae do you have and what kind? Why are you not testing phosphates??? what kind of test kits are you using??

your nitrates are most likely at zero because your tank is in an equilibium state with the amount of algae in your tank. in other words your testing at zero because the algae is binding your "testable" nitrates. Any time you have algae problems then you know you have phosphate and nitrate issues.

8. Click Here!

9. reefer3

reefer3 Astrea Snail

here are some pics, it's in my utility room

Attached Files:

10. reefer3

reefer3 Astrea Snail

i'll get some bacteria as soon as i can, thanks

11. reefer3

reefer3 Astrea Snail

i washed it all off, about 100 lbs of panamanian live rock, no base rock...no other livestock tank is empty now.....lots of green hair algae, some redish algae as well, not testing phosphates cause i don't have a test kit for it.......it should be going down though with the use of the reactor........test kit says "master saltwater test kit" aquarium pharaciticals inc.

12. wastemanagement

wastemanagement Eyelash Blennie

hi reefer, looking over this post I think that you may have had the following
    (at a guess)
    tank running fine in basement (yes)
    move to upstairs possible negitive inpacts to consider
    natural sunlight = Algea Bloom
    extra head height for pump= less flow, algea bloom
    manual removal of algea + freashwater hose= bacteria die off (restart a cycle)
    at this point I would check flow rate/pump, cut your tanks natural light and not run your tanks lights for awhile as you have no live stock anyways and it will just aid algea growth
    after the cycle is finnished get a damsel and start over (sorry for your troubles)

1 person likes this.