Help! Algae ID

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by catchprj, Jan 5, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. catchprj

catchprj Astrea Snail

Already running GFO. Have replaced it every 2 weeks with this algae issue. DI resin is only a few months old and would have had about 300L max through it. Oh, and I'm running 2 DI resin stages in series on my RODI filter just to be sure.
    Should I be doing anything more for silicate control?

2. Click Here!

3. RickM

RickM Astrea Snail

I have what I think is this in my tank. We looked at it under a microscope and were unable to identify it. Our guess was a sponge of some type. It is photosynthetic
    Silica is almost definitely my issue. I am on well and co2 was depleting my resin in less than 50 gallons. That has been fixed.
    Limiting silica input and exporting it should fix it.
    Silica has a very weak bond to the DI resin, when it gets close to being exhausted it will be replaced by something with a stronger bond and get into your water. This is almost always the source. You might be able to get a silica test to test your rodi water
    You aren't on well water are you?
    My only suggestions are changing the resin and changing the gfo more often. I don't know much about the bond between gfo and silica but it might also become exhausted within a few days if silica levels are high. I imagine testing for silica in the tank would be like testing for phosphates, with this stuff consuming it there might be little if any free silica in the water.
    My strategy is replace the gfo weekly and use a turkey baster to blow it off the rocks. It has only been a week since I have dealt with the co2 issue in my tap water but I think I already see a decrease in this stuff.

4. RickM

RickM Astrea Snail

I might add that diatoms are another silica limited organism. At the end of their life cycle they fall to the bottom of the tank, so if you are BB, be sure to vacuum out as much detritus as a method to export silica.

5. catchprj

catchprj Astrea Snail

OK I will get a silicate test kit when I can find one (marine aquarium supplies are rare here in New Zealand).
    My RODI water reads at 0ppm, but yes I am on well water...

6. RickM

RickM Astrea Snail

7. catchprj

catchprj Astrea Snail

In saying that I am on well water, I think it's pretty good for a well. TDS out of the well is ~80ppm. In fact, the Christchurch city tap water is sourced from the same aquifers as our well water.
    If my DI resin was exhausted, due to CO2 or otherwise, wouldn't I see a rise in TDS in my RODI output? It is still a consistent 0ppm.

8. Click Here!

9. RickM

RickM Astrea Snail

I guess it would depend on accuracy of the the TDS meter, whether its calibrated correctly and of good quality. I am just going by my experience with well water and that I have what looks like the same thing in my system.

10. catchprj

catchprj Astrea Snail

So another update.

My partner had surgery so I haven't done most of the things I intended to do, but...

It's been 4 weeks since I finished the blackout. I had the lights at 3 hours (+2hrs for actinics) for 2 weeks, 4 hours for 1 weeks (+2 hours) and the last few days have been 5 hours (+2).

So far the algae has not returned ;D

My corals have better PE than ever have noticeably grown in the last few weeks.

I have had a few other algae species creep in (hair algae and some halimeda), likely due to nutrients released during the original algae dye-out, but nothing unmanageable. I've upped my carbon dosing and turned up the skimmer to help with this.

Fingers crossed that this is the end of this horrible crap!

11. RickM

RickM Astrea Snail

I did 2 5% water changes, changed DI resin and changed the gfo weekly for 2 weeks. No sign of it in my tank.