help... 30 gal... 55x2 or 96x2

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by SpngBob, Jan 26, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. SpngBob

SpngBob Astrea Snail

Ok right now I jsut have a 50/50 fluorescent light... well the same guy that sold me the 50/50 now says I need a power compact........

So i been looking around ebay and most 36in's are 2x96 watt....

For corals you need about 3 watts per gallon... So I dunno which to get... Prolly go wiht the 55x2 cause its only 55 dollars ad comes wiht the lights!!!

Im not sure how much it can overheat but if that becomes a prolbem I could try wiring some fans..........

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2375677926&category=46314

If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated

Thanks alot

2. Click Here!

3. Iceman30

Iceman30 Astrea Snail

I would suggest at LEAST the 2 96...I have a 30 gallon, check out my pics, but also have a 400 mh 20k that runs 5 hrs of the total 11, without the 2 pc's on..check out this site for good retrofit PC prices..I painted the inside of my hood white, put a 4 inch radio shack 14$ plus have to cut cheap extension cord and wire nut to fan on back of canopy and blow in over water, it removes enough heat..I added a second and just those 2 blowing on water and 400watt mh my water temp does not increase with house temp at 76 degrees.  I do have a sump, so that helps with evap and have auto topoff from rodi unit to keep salinity stable with the evaporation.  2 96's you can keep about everything except sps or clams on the bottom of tank...you can actually fit 4 96's in canopy, if you have a canopy..if not check out their canopy style pc's, email me, if you want I can send you a picture of inside of my canopy..all DIY..
    [email protected]   I'm iced in for the third day in a row...I'M BORED !!! can't do anymore water changes !!!
    http://www.hellolights.com/362xcoraqpch.html
    or

http://www.hellolights.com/2x96wcfbalki.html

4. Malachi

Malachi Sea Dragon

I have an auction up for a 36" Double Bulb PC on e-bay! The reserve is only $150.00 and includes new bulbs!

Just enter this # in the search -

Need some extra $$ for Metal Halide!

5. SpngBob

SpngBob Astrea Snail

Do you know if the dimmers are built into lights or can you buy them seperatly... I want one that you can make it like a sunset because it can take half hour to 2 hours for it to dim before it turns off... I might keep an eye on the auction... but im a little short of money :-/

6. Malachi

Malachi Sea Dragon

it does not have a dimmer but both bulbs are on seperate cords so you can have them on seperate timmers. I have Two light fistures where i kick a light on every 1/2 hour. I will be placing my 2nd Light Fixture up early next week, which has been in service since Christmas 2004, will have a lower reserve since it does not have any new bulbs.