Hello there

Discussion in 'Say Hello!' started by n1sm0r, May 31, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. n1sm0r

n1sm0r Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Hello there,

New to this forum, and excited to see what I can learn and contribute.
    I started off with a 10gallon freshwater aquarium and quickly got REALLY bored with freshwater fish. I traded in all my Tiger Barbs and got a bag of salt and coral sand. A couple days later I had a small 10 gallon saltwater aquarium with 2 damsels. Soon after that I got a 26g bowfront, but wanted to house a Lion fish, so I got a 40 gallon breeder. Shortly after, I realized the tank was far too small for even a young Lionfish, so I traded him in for store credit. I still have the 40 gallon breeder with about 50 lbs of live rock, and looking to make a small reef tank with peaceful tankmates (tangs, clowns, shrimp etc). A lot of time has gone into browsing craigslist and ebay to find good deals and overall I'm very happy with this hobby and think that with patience, can be very affordable (but time consuming).

I look forward to reading what you guys have to say!

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. invert phil

invert phil Millepora

North Yorkshire, England, Europe, Earth, Milkyway,
    Welcome to 3reef, glad to here you've got the aquarium bug! Have you got any pics of your tank so far?? By the way we love pictures here! :)

4. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

yep. pictures please

and welcome to 3 reef

Steve

5. sid101

sid101 Astrea Snail

Welcome to the pond! marine aquariums are amazing and very apealing but i strongly advice you to research everything you can step by step. Aquarium forums are great and youtube is also a great tool, learn to recognize when your fish shop guy is trying to sell you something just to get a sell and when he is actually trying to help you either with advice or equipment.

I cannot stress the research point enough, there are some great books, i woulnd highly recomend "The New Marine Aquarium: Step-By-Step Setup & Stocking Guide" and "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist: A Commonsense Handbook for Successful Saltwater Hobbyists" specially the later. Research, research and plan every detail of the tank you can since there may be some things you could forget about, this doesnt mean you wont be succesful with your first setup you are already putting together but since you are pretty inexperienced with aquaria in general i would recoment to take the project to a hault and taking your time to research, did you consider tests kist already?

I would recommend to you, first make a target basic stocking list, then check compatibilities with both other live stock, tank size and kind of tank (fish only, fish only with live rock, mixed tank or reef aquarium), then take in consideration your filtration (a good skimmer pays over time), temperature control, salt, water source, plumbing and flow.

A big part of your toughts should go to lighting. The lighting you choose gives you a range of organisms you can keep, so i would recomend you to at least start with powercompacts or t-5 bulbs, bot are budget friendly and give enough light to let you upgrade your live stock variety overtime by the adition of certain invertebrates and corals.

Even if you dont go for a reef consider a cleaning crew.

Take much atention at your biological filtration options since in marine aquariums the biological filtration is 99% of your actual filtration system (mechanical filtration si also usefull but not necesary in most cases if a good smikker and bio filtration along with good maintenance is done and it can be kept down to just a sump sock or HOB filter.

Have all the fun you can and don't feel intimidated by what i just said, sounds like a lot but you dont have to know it all just to start, basic instalation, maintenance and feeding caution (not to overfeed) is what you basically need for s starter's marine aquarium.

The most important advide i or anyone can give you is to learn about aquarium cycling both with fish and fishless cycling,also learn the nitrogen cycle

I am sorry if my comment seems a litle blunt is not my intention nor i want to discourrage you in any way but instead to point you towards the knowledge necesary so your tank wont discourrage you in time by taking you by surprice without the knowledge.

Last edited: May 31, 2009
    1 person likes this.
  6. the fisherman

the fisherman Vlamingii Tang

welcome to 3 reef my friend

7. kingterra

kingterra Skunk Shrimp

8. Click Here!

9. Triplemom

Triplemom Pajama Cardinal

Welcome to 3reef!

10. pgoodsell

pgoodsell Horrid Stonefish

Welcome 2 3reef!

11. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

Welcome to 3reef. When you were looking at lions did you look into dwarf lions. A dwarf would be great in a 40 gallon reef.

12. arvincito

arvincito Astrea Snail

Welcome to the club!

Sid101, well said!