hello , new to the hobbie and have some in the tank

Discussion in 'Say Hello!' started by agent77, Jan 14, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Welcome aboard. Luna

2. Click Here!

3. NRF_85

NRF_85 Astrea Snail

Hey Welcome!

You REALLY need to watch out since you have a lot of items in your tank that are for mature tanks- esp the anenome.

I would take things very slowly from now on out

Good luck!

4. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

Welcome to 3Reef>>>>>

5. Triplemom

Triplemom Pajama Cardinal

Welcome, and show us some pictures!

6. nathan2014

nathan2014 Plankton

Welcome to the reef. Could you please upload some pictures. You stocked your tank really fast, better keep a close eye on it. I am really afarid of the sea horses that you have. They Shold only be placed in well established tanks and expert tank keepers. Happy Reefing

7. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

Whoa!!!! thats was fast. You really need to slow down. Your tank isn't ready for that number of inhabitants but since you have them all ready there's only a couple of things to do. I would return it to the Fish Store or Just keep a close eye on your levels. It's scary and I fear for the suffering of the critters that you have.

8. Click Here!

9. agent77

agent77 Astrea Snail

well have be checking water levels everyday just in case and everything seems to be alright . Amm 0 nitrite 0 nritrate 0 . I think you would call it zero since amm is a slight yellow and the rites and rates are very light pink . My water temp is no lower than 78 and no higher than 80 . ph is around 8.1 to 8.3 , cal 480,phos 0.25,kh120 mg/L. If Im missing something could someone fill me in a little on what and how . I am going to try to post pic with this but pics have been to big for the site in the last postings. dougs cam 216.jpg I only have 1 mh light going as I am waiting for the other ballast . I did get the anemone out of the rock .LFS gave me $100 in store credit for him .

10. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Looks good. Welcome to 3Reef.

I would be worried about the sea horses and the pipe fish. Both require a lot of food in order for them to eat. Plus they waste a lot of that food. Also both do not like a lot of flow where as most corals like more flow. This is where I see some future problems.

Typically people set up separate tanks to house Sea horses, But you never know with a lot of care you could make it work

1 person likes this.
  11. agent77

agent77 Astrea Snail

thanks for the reply . I do see a issue with the horses and pipefish with the flow . I just got my overflow yesterday and I am going to set up a 50 g refuge . I will be putting them in there . It will be connected to my main tank also . I dont have a problem with feeding or overfeeding cause when I go to feed I show them the tool I feed with and they come to the surface to eat . I shut off pumps and flow and feed the tang and clowns flake until Im done with the pipe and horses . I find that any food they miss the tang and clowns clean up and if they miss any my nassarius snails ,black blenny ,watchman gobys , and jaw fish eat the rest . I think I feed alot but it seems to all get eaten in about 1/2 hour which then I turn on the pumps and flow . I also feed the sun corals (each polyp), duncan tree coral and gorgornians with the marine sea squirt . My duncan was a seven polyp but is now showing a new polyp on the side . I try to keep all flow in the back and then flows to the front . That way the horses dont get banged on the rocks . I find they are better swimmers than most think . I see them swimming in the current and they go in when they want and leave when they want . I am moving them to the 50g refuge when set up so I am not limited to what they like . I didnt do the reading before buying anything . I am doing the absolute no no in marine keeping and thats buying first then reading later . I did not know this before starting this tank . I am going to hold off on buying anything and going to take care of what I have first . Thanks for reading

12. bmshehan

bmshehan Fu Manchu Lion Fish

Welcome! Sounds like you came to your senses so good luck with your stock and research!

As far as the pics go the easiest way is to start an account at Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket upload the pics there then copy and paste the direct link to your reply. That will put the full size pic in your post. Now get to work, we need more pics!

2 people like this.