hello from stl

Discussion in 'Say Hello!' started by bjc541, Apr 3, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. bjc541

bjc541 Fire Shrimp

A little bit about me. I have had fresh water for years as a kid. I then got a original nano cube. I then had a 60 gallon hexagon tank that was converted to a saltwater tank after all the lfs said it could not be done tank was too tall and not wide enough. I used a aq filter for some rubble rock, and chemical filtration. And got the reef octopus dual skimmer the one with the pump problems right when they came out. I was lit by a lumenarc mini 250 watt coralvue e ballast and used reeflux bulbs. Built into a canopy with fans and. Moonlights etc. Every thing was running pretty good till my wife at the time just unplugged everything and i was unable to get back for the tank for 10 days needless to say everything was dead.. so after a house remodel due to mold unrelated to the tanks. The tank was put in the garage with a little bit of saltwater and 70lbs of rock for over a year. I am sure most of the rock was dead. So i got the itch to get back in the hobby all it would take was some new sand some saltwater and let it cycle. Started cleaning the tank and dropped it. Maybe a turtle house down the line?????. So that brings me to the new tank went out the same day and got a new tank at a lfs. I got a 65 gallon RR and a 20 gallon sump by A.R.T some live sand and some finer dry sand. A reef octopus nw 110 2010 model with a gatevalve, heater, mineral mud, aquaticlife t5 4 bulb, a few pieces of liverock to seed my old stuff, got some chaeto, and a clamp on light time to cycle.....

2. Click Here!

3. bjc541

bjc541 Fire Shrimp

Tank was set up march 10th. Went to a lfs and took a sample of water and watched him test the water and said we were good to get some fish. I thought it was a little soon but maybe that old rock sped up the cycle. Got a clean up crew and two allardi clownfish. ( weezy and baby. I had never seen these before so i thought they looked cool so i got them. After another forum that rhymes with thief rental ripped me a new one. Thought i was a newbie and was taking bets that the fish had a 15% survival rate. To make a long story short weezy and baby made it through. I now currently have quite a few fish but were added about a week apart once levels evened out. I have a myster wrasse, royall gramma, 5 blue green reef chromis, and just got a diamond watchman goby however the wrasse was not too happy about him. So 10 fish total all pretty small though. I got some really gsp started , two frags of zoos and two mushrooms. I do have pics but not sure how to post them

4. bjc541

bjc541 Fire Shrimp

A couple of items i didnt mention i have. Mag 5 return pump. I have a older korallia pump it is 850 gph and. Just got a new korallia 1050 gph. So not counting the return pump or skimmer about 1900 gph so real close to 30X turnover

5. Tecnomage

Tecnomage Astrea Snail

Welcome to 3reef! Sounds like a nice setup.

The best way to add pictures is to sign up with photobucket or another free online photo hosting site, upload the pictures there then click the picture icon when you post and put the link to the picture there. Or just copy and paste the URL for the picture into the message as a link.

6. bjc541

bjc541 Fire Shrimp

I will put some pics up let me know what you think about the aquascaping it honestly took about 45 min and havent changes it yet. My other tank took about 4 hours then i wasnt happy with a few rocks and move one then 4 or 5 fall. Then another 4 hours back hurts from lwaning over. I guess i got lucky this time. Let ne know when i get the pics up

7. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

8. Click Here!

9. Matt121

Matt121 Fire Worm

Hello and Welcome

10. bjc541

bjc541 Fire Shrimp

11. bjc541

bjc541 Fire Shrimp

12. bjc541

bjc541 Fire Shrimp