Hello From Sammamish!!!

Discussion in 'Say Hello!' started by G&NSalty425, Oct 2, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. R34dawn

R34dawn Ocellaris Clown

Howdy! and welcome to 3Reef

2. Click Here!

3. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

Welcome to 3reef.

4. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Welcome to 3reef G&NSalty425 and Hubby. Glad you made the change to SW, you guys are going to love it. You came to the right place to learn, share exp's, SHARE PICS and ask any Q's you may have. Check out this web site, its very helpfull and can answer alot of your Q's. Good luck on your SW journey and keep us posted. Luna

www.saltwater101.com

5. G&NSalty425

G&NSalty425 Plankton

Packleader thanks for the feed back, but have some questions to your comments? You stated the FW pH kit will not work? pH unless I'm missing something to my knowledge is a measurement of the concentration of hydrogen ions in solution so why would it make a difference if the water being tested is now salt not fresh? Also, due to us being new at this we spent little on a hydrometer so basically just got something that would get us going until we got more knowledge under our belt and then found something more advance or something we liked to use. Is a refractometer really necessary for a fish tank? Any recommendations on a hydrometer i.e. brand or type would be great.
    As an FYI I have a back ground in industrial water treatment so Sg, pH, TDS, alkalinity titrations, color wheels etc...etc is all very familiar territory for me (husband), but were new here and know from first hand experience that one may know all of the technical aspects, but it takes experience, knowledge and well some times luck to get all things to work almost perfectly and well input from great people like you on this site that have already been through the sufferings:)

Oh your comment on the CPR, man I looked and looked and looked to find something that would work for our tank as it was originally a FW tank so no holes for a sump and I didn’t want to go with multiple pumps just for the skimmer and a lot of the hang-on ones looked cheap or in my opinion poor designs for the purpose. So when I found the CPR duo I thought cool someone has done the hang-on skimmer right. Yeah coming from someone with no SW experience…lol; as unfortunately as it may sound……well for us, yes we have ordered all listed:(

Last edited: Oct 2, 2008
  6. G&NSalty425

G&NSalty425 Plankton

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome and alot of reading we have been doing lol. Just wait I will be posting pics as soon as we get things up and running again I the wife am a complete photo nut lol.

The pic is one of my favorite fish ever that I had it's a EBJD (Electric Blue Jack Dempsey)

Attached Files:

7. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

There is a difference between FW and SW PH testers. Thats why they sell them apart. But if you want to use the FW ph tester on the SW tank, thats your business. Luna

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. G&NSalty425

G&NSalty425 Plankton

10. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

If the testing kit is for FW, it will not work for SW. NSW is dens'er than FW. But if you really what to know for sure 100%, contact API and ask them if you can use FW PH test kits on SW. Luna

11. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

Well, well, well. Sammamish. I graduated from Sammamish High School. Grew up in Bellevue (Eastgate.....by the old airport if you remember back 35 years....a stone's throw from Phantom Lake). Glad to see someone come onto the forum, not only from the West Coast, but from my old stomping ground. Peace.......John.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2008
  12. G&NSalty425

G&NSalty425 Plankton

Ohh Yes I know that area (both of my cousin's graduated from Sammamish). It's always cool to find people in the area :) So do you have any favorite LFS? One of my favorite's in the area is Blue Sierra Exotics in Issaquah and if you are ever over in these parts you should check it out sometime. When I had FW (well I still do I have a 20 gallon lol) most of my stock came from them and when we finally buy fish for the SW tank more likely they will come from them too :)