Hello from NY!

Discussion in 'Say Hello!' started by Draco, Oct 20, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Draco

Draco Astrea Snail

Hi all

I am not new to reef-keeping. I had a 10 gal many years ago. then a year ago I started up a 9 gal Ehiem, very low tech (Mainly Zoas and Mushrooms with a growing hammer) and 2 clowns.

I ordered myself a JBJ 28 gal Nanocube (intermediate LED series). it should be in this week. I hope to set it up in the next few weeks. I've been wanting to upgrade my 9 gal. this is the biggest tank I can go in my budget and space.

I am just a bit worried about transferring the 9 gal to the 28 gal tank. It'll be in the exact same spot, so it'll be harder! If anyone has any advice, it would be appreciated!

2. Click Here!

3. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

welcome to the forum draco! one piece of advice I'd have is to use as much of the existing tank as you can (rock, water) and add to that.....

4. Draco

Draco Astrea Snail

Looks like I did post here once upon a time ago. lol. whoops.

Thanks! I was told not to use the old sand, just a small bit. use clean new sand. Do you suggest the same?

5. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Hi, welcome to 3reef.

Since it is a nano I recommend new sand as well, and a cup or two of sand from an established system.

Congrats on the new tank, I have had the JBJ 28 gallon but metal halide. Nice all in one tanks. Since you have a running tank with live stock and such I would.

Get those large square containers, cheap from walmart, one large one should be fine.
    Put everything in container with a power head.
    Move old tank, set up new tank, add new sand and then add rock and live stock.
    Make up enough water for the 28 gallon ahead of time.
    Test as if you are going to have a full blown cycle with ammonia spikes for roughly 2 weeks, do water changes as needed.

6. Draco

Draco Astrea Snail

Thank you Corailline. That's pretty much what I was thinking, but had to make sure from the experts!

I should be getting the tank in the next day or so, if not today. I won't be able to set it up till next weekend. The wait is the hard part!

Corailline likes this.
  7. nvladik

nvladik Flamingo Tongue

Welcome Draco. I am in the NY area also...

8. Click Here!

9. jkat21

jkat21 Bangghai Cardinal

Hi and welcome. What part of NY are you in.

10. Draco

Draco Astrea Snail

Hi fellow NY'ers!

I am in Nassau County, Long Island. You're in Staten Island?