Hello everyone!

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by whelms, Nov 12, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. whelms

whelms Astrea Snail

I've been lurking here for a few days and decided I liked this site so much better than the others I'd been lurking on that I joined.

The people on here seem very knowledgable but and informed but not so technical that a newbie can't understand.

I'm a dreaded Newbie but I'm having a great time with my first tank. A couple of things I would love to find answers to but first a bit of history:

My tank is a little bitty 12g Nano that I started 6 weeks ago. After 5 weeks I chose to take out the crushed coral and put in live sand. I also took out the bioballs and ceramic disks and put live rock in to replace them. I have about 12 pounds of live rock in the tank also.

#1 - Since putting in the sand my tank heats up really quick. With the light on it gets to around 85 degrees. What can I do except keep light off and put a fan where it blows into the tank?

#2 - Do I need to wait for another cyle since changing out the coral with live sand and removing the bioballs and ceramic discs?

#3 - A hermit came home on some live rock and he's nekkid. I've bought him 3 different shells but he is being a house snob apparaently-any suggestions?

2. Click Here!

3. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

First off, welcome aboard. Iam no expert, but I will try to answer the best I can.
    1. What kind of light are you using? Do you have a/c? Is the tank covered completely?
    2. You might want to wait just a little longer before introducing anything else, just in case.
    3. The only time hermits change their shells is when they out grow the old shell. Just let nature take its course.
    Luna

4. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

5. ziggy222

ziggy222 Fire Goby

welcome to 3reef.your hermit needs a bigger shell than it came in on,preferably the same kind.i did'nt know sand heated a tank more than crushed coral.huh,i learn new stuff all the time here.

6. BaxterS80

BaxterS80 Pajama Cardinal

Welcome to 3reef...I belong to some of the other sites, but this is the one I come to everyday. Usually don't even go to the other sites anymore....

7. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

[​IMG]

To 3Reef!!!

Salutations! Glad to see you found way here! ;D

Try lifting your cover up off the tank a bit using some shims, or whatever, to give some better airflow.

Do you have a dual light hood?

Make sure your heater is not overtemping.

Good move on getting rid of bioballs and stuff. Your LR will will be enough for tank. (as long as you do not try to put too much in it.

Good Luck!

The Tao of Marine Aquaria
    Tips for Our Hobby and Life

© 1997 Adam H. Whitlock
    Edited By Elizabeth M. Lukan 11/25/00

8. Click Here!

9. sssnake

sssnake Montipora Digitata

Welcome to 3reef!

10. Camilsky

Camilsky Montipora Capricornis

Welcome!

One of the most efficient ways of getting rid of an excess of heat is disturbance of the liquid/air interface... :book2: You can achieve it in two ways:

1. Using fans, that blow away this thin layer of heated air that forms just above the water surface.

2. Using powerhead or any kind of circulation pump that will strongly disturb the surface of the water.

The only side effect of both of these methods is definitely faster evaporation!

Good luck...

11. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

Welcome to 3Reef>>>>>>

12. MILLERTIME

MILLERTIME Feather Duster

Welcom to 3reef....take a seat....kick up your feet.... your home now!