Hello Everyone! New Tank Build

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by mkdsjones1986, Nov 23, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mkdsjones1986

mkdsjones1986 Plankton

Hello Everyone,

I am new to 3reef, and I was just going to say hello and describe my plans for my 75 gallon reef build. I had a 40 gallon reef for two years back in college and, my moving around from apartment to apartment back then eventually drove me to shut it down. Im hoping some of you guys could give me some suggestions on equipment i have purchased or things you think i need in order to get this build underway. I am starting a 75 gallon reef with a DIY stand and a 20 long DIY sump that I have already built. I will list off the equipment i have gotten thus far. I have drilled the tank and installed a 1200 gph overflow and plan on running the overflow into a filtersocks in the sump. Im going to be using the herbie method. I bought a tds meter and tested my artisan well water, and was surprised and bummed to find out my water is reading 440 TDS. Is this number crazy or is that somewhat normal?
    Im asking for a brs ro/di value plus system for xmas.

Sicce voyager 3 (planning on getting a second one and a wavemaker at some point. I have a maxijet 1200 until then)

Danner mag 9.5 return pump.

Two 165 watt mars aqua led fixtures.

Eheim 200 watt jager heater.

Aqua C Remora hang on protein skimmer that should work in my sump.

Im planning on brs reef saver rock and a shallow sand bed.

What else do i need?

Thanks

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Welcome to 3reef. :)

Sounds like you're on the right track with the new RO/DI system, yes that TDS number will eventually case algae issues at best.

Why go with a HOB skimmer if you're drilling the tank and have a sump?

DSC reef likes this.
  4. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Ask Santa for a Spectrapure Rodi. It will save you alot of money in the long run.☺

DSC reef and Sataly like this.
  5. Sataly

Sataly Coral Banded Shrimp

^ what he said. I thought for the longest time just a lil TDS wouldn't hurt. I battled algea like crazy in my 90 for a while. GFO and carbon reactors are your friends.

Also if money isn't an issue, if you're gonna do a HOB skimmer look into the reef octopus ones. I had one a while back and has no issues with it. Knew a few guys who used Aqua Cs and the always had microbubbles shooting out of them.

for the wave maker go with a jebao. cheap, reliable and does what any other MP model can do minus the wireless control.

6. mkdsjones1986

mkdsjones1986 Plankton

Thanks for the quick responses guys! I am using the aqua C because it was given to me by a friend who got out of the hobby. I know its not ideal but my water level in my sump before the bubble trap is high enough for it to work until i can afford an in sump skimmer. Money is definitely an issue(first baby on the way). As for the wavemaker I have been looking at the Jabao RW-8 but it will have to wait im trying to get together everything i need to start cycling by the end of December. Any other thought/suggestions?

7. mkdsjones1986

mkdsjones1986 Plankton

Also is a GFO reactor a must or is it a wait and see thing?

8. Click Here!

9. Murball7

Murball7 Bristle Worm

I would get carbon and gfo right off the bat before any nutrient build up occurs Two little fishes makes the phosban reactor it's cheap, effective and I run two with a maximum jet 1200 and a Y splitter I bought from the hardware store. They can be a pain on the neck to take apart just an fyi. Bulkreefsupply also makes affordable reactor but I don't have any experience with them.

10. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

I wouldn't start running reactors off the bat. Start slow and simple. You can put carbon in a bag in the sump, no reactor needed. Your stock list is fine and as the tank matures then you can invest in other things. I wouldn't worry GFO at this time. Personally, it's not something I'd run all the time anyway. Start simple, go slow. Welcome to 3reef.

Vinnyboombatz likes this.