hello and help!

Discussion in 'Say Hello!' started by oldfishkeeper, Aug 14, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

As the name implies...a bit behind in technology knowledge. I've not ever been in a forum and can't figure out the button to post a new question....

I've been a fishkeeper and reef keeper (in the past) but am re-exploring doing this again or what to have as a second tank. Right now I have a 54 gallon saltwater tank with several fish and a lot of live rock that I've had over 15 years now. Just a start.

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. N00ZE

N00ZE Eyelash Blennie

Welcome to 3reef, And I'm sure when you look around some you can figure it all out. Or message me and I'll help you.

4. Moby Duck

Moby Duck Purple Spiny Lobster

5. oldfishkeeper

thanks for the welcome. Do I just push post thread? I can tell this is a very knowledgeable group of people with quite complex information. I'm hoping this forum can help me figure out the next step on my saltwater adventure

6. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Welcome to 3reef

7. Lady J

Lady J Peppermint Shrimp

Sometimes it helps to explain in more detail exactly what you have and also what type of system you want to have as your end goal. :) Different avenues to explore are as follows:

Lighting---> t5s, metal halide, LEDs

Protein skimmers---> good ones vs. those you couldn't give away if you tried

Sumps

Refugiums

Bare bottom (BB), shallow sand bed (SSB), deep sand bed (DSB)

Different kinds of corals (softies, LPS, SPS)

How to move the water ---> powerheads (what brand), wavemakers etc.

How much $ is available for the aforementioned (I know this sounds rather tacky but truthfully it's a reality). Someone who has 3K to spend vs. someone who has $900.00 often determines different set ups. This isn't an absolute as you can find good deals on equipment and other things, but it is something to consider.

This is a start. :)

Last edited: Aug 15, 2012
  8. Click Here!

9. Lady J

Lady J Peppermint Shrimp

My apologies, I don't think I addressed your original question.

You can start in the section for new marine keepers. After you read that you can move to each section for different questions (ie: lighting, equipment, chemistry, different types of corals, etc.)

Hope this helps a bit.

10. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Welcome to 3reef. :)

If your questions or interest is in lighting or more specifically LEDs you can go to Forum right under the 3reef logo in the left hand upper corner.

All subjects and sponsor threads are found there.

When you want to create a new thread on a topic such as LED lighting, open up the lighting forum and go to start new thread, just choose New Thread.

Some members keep all the questions about their individual tank in their build thread under Show off your tank. This does not always get the quickest response, so sometimes it's prudent to just begin a thread on the topic matter you have questions about.

The Search function can be found under each forum to the right hand side.

11. oldfishkeeper

Thanks all for the information!! I will get the specifics up on my tank soon.