heater question

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by kdneo, Feb 10, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. kdneo

kdneo Fire Shrimp

Does running a higher wattage heater for a shorter amount of time, or a smaller wattage heater for a longer time use less energy in the long run? For some reason I pulled my heater out today and realized it is only a 350watt on a 250gal system. I bought someones complete system, and thats what came with it. Tank temp maintains at about 80 with no issues, but I have a feeling that heater probably never shuts off at that wattage. Thoughts?

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Hmm interesting question that I do not know the answer to.

Ambient room temp is going to play a huge role. I know Yuma and I doubt your heater is having to do a lot of catch up. You probably keep your thermostat in the mid 70's. Water is a great insulator.

4. kdneo

kdneo Fire Shrimp

Room temp in winter I try and keep in the mid 70's, during the summer it sits at 78-80. I know it runs during the winter, just curious if I would be money ahead getting a bigger heater?

5. mdbostwick

mdbostwick Vlamingii Tang

It depends on how long it actually runs against how long a higher wattage heater would actually run. Then Math :confused:.

6. dienerman

dienerman Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

It is probably a good idea to get a second heater any way. You can set the second for 1 degree cooler than the first so that it functions as a back up in case the first one dies.

Corailline likes this.
  7. mdbostwick

mdbostwick Vlamingii Tang

I have 2 in my sump. I think due to my sump being remote my water cools quite a bit while traveling to my sump. The one is kinda crappy and keeps the temp within range and the good one with a temp probe and digital display keeps the temp exactly where I want it. It may be overkill but if one stops working my tank doesn't drop temp.